Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,734 Posts
Nice work!

Are you rolling those hot? What kind of swages are you using to curl the metal. It would be great to see the tooling.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
wow, nice work.

·
thhhpptthh!
47,371 Posts
ehsankiani said:
The link below has all the pics and some details.. If you have any questions... Fire away..
Here's the link..
http://islamabadjeeps.com/work/hinges/mov02206.mpg = The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

awesome work ehsankiani. Its amazing the talent you and your freinds have. I'd be scared what you could produce in a quaity shop.

keep em coming :D

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Nice hinge work! Need one, just make it. :)

James -- to make you own tool, take a block of steel. Drill a hole in it, then cut a slot the width of the material you are making the hinge from. Slot hits then tangential edge of the hole.... so as you pound with the tool, it curls the metal around. Good photo in the section Eshan had.

Drilled hole is a little larger than twice the thickness of the material and the center pin combined.

I got the details from an old metal working book or Perhaps one of Guy Lautard's books? I made some "period correct hinges" for a wood working friend. Much smaller, but same idea.

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
Kaiser Bill said:
What's the guy chanting in the background while he is forming the hinge in the clip?"????
"I wish we had Home Depot... I wish we had Home Depot... I wish we had Home Depot... "

:) :) :) :)

Seriously, no idea what he's chanting (or if he's chanting--I can't tell what's going on past somebody saying something and a quick hammer whack)... but I just had to... :)

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Kaiser Bill said:
What's the guy chanting in the background while he is forming the hinge in the clip?"????
Ever weld while wearing sandals??? I think it is "ouch, that hurts, ouch that hurts, ouch that hurts.... "

Ehsan -- great work done by the fabricators there. Still the thought of welding without some sort of glasses/goggles just makes my eyes hurt. Admitted it is oxy/acetylene welding... but still makes my eyes water all the same.

Yes, I have welded while wearing sandals (sever eczema on my feet, didn't wear shoes until I was in my 20's... Yes, I even got written up in a medical book :D ).

Trivia... old time machinist tools boxes have a mirror inside the top of the tool box. Reason was to leave a pair of tweezers in the tool box, and the mirror was the cleanest thing in the shop. Helpful for pulling out metal pieces from your eye! I know lots of folks who complain about OSHA, but look at factory photo's from the 1940 & 1950's!

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess he's not chanting.
I was hitting the play button on my media player over and over and then it seemed like he was:D :D :D
I forgot to stop and ended up watching him hit that hinge for 10 minutes:confused: :confused:

There's a couple of pics on the site that flipper was talking about,....with the wrangler bodywork from scratch.
Check out the manually operated Porta-Power the guy is using to line up the dash.......
A turnbuckle with angle iron ends.
That's a good idea:cool:
I'm going to make one up for my toolbox.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.