Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been planning to buy a JD2 manual bender but after recent back problems Ive been wondering if thats a bad idea. I have never used a manual bender before and have no idea how much force it actually takes to bend tube with a manual bender. I know its hard to describe over the internet but can anyone give me an idea of hard it is to bend tube manually? Will be bending mostly 1.75x.120 HREW.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
HREW bends significantly easier than DOM. With HREW and a 6' cheater it's a walk in the park. With the same cheater and DOM it requires a bit of effort.

I'd put a hydraulic ram on it though, if you already have back problems, there's no point in aggravating them. More money can be earned, your health can be hard to regain.

Ary

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
in my garage I can't use anything other than the supplied cheater bar (4'), If I'm bending 1 3/4 DOM I really have to put some ass into it. It's bad enough that if I do a bunch of bending my back is kinda sore next day, and I really don't have back trouble

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 6' handle on mine and very little effort is needed and I only weigh about 155...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I just buy the bender and try it. If its too much strain on the back Ill have to invest in the hydro conversion.

SeaBass the videos in your link dont work.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Hell, I dont have back problems, tender once in a blue moon, even I say invest in a hydro bender, makes the job easier and more fun, IMHO!

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
if it quits raining & I get my work done, I should have my bender cart done 12vdc over hydro
total cost to convert
$249 pump
$118 ram
$50 hoses, these were custom made for my oddball pump fitting with 90* adapters 3 footers at a local semi truck supply, they have lots of neat stuff.
$30ish in steel

$450ish
jd2 model 3 with 1.75" 240* die shipped $608 new from mtechsales 1.25" die $168 shipped

total
$1218.00
2 dies & hydro:smokin:

I said it before, most selling used benders want more for there used then you can buy new!:eek::eek::eek:

check out new prices before you buy;)

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
if it quits raining & I get my work done, I should have my bender cart done 12vdc over hydro
total cost to convert
$249 pump
$118 ram
$50 hoses, these were custom made for my oddball pump fitting with 90* adapters 3 footers at a local semi truck supply, they have lots of neat stuff.
$30ish in steel

$450ish
jd2 model 3 with 1.75" 240* die shipped $608 new from mtechsales 1.25" die $168 shipped

total
$1218.00
2 dies & hydro:smokin:

I said it before, most selling used benders want more for there used then you can buy new!:eek::eek::eek:

check out new prices before you buy;)
With all those new fandangled tools you gonna put together a rig and wheel it :D

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
With all those new fandangled tools you gonna put together a rig and wheel it :D
going to try:shaking:

I'm gettin old, so I need to get busy!

Just don't have much free time & no garage, so I think I'm going to save up a bit & rebuild a carport thing into a workshop so I can do something this winter.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
A lot of it depends on how big you are. I have one guy in my club that's about 6' 4" and doesn't understand how anybody can be so "lazy" that they need full hydro. I have another guy that's about 5' 7"/145 lbs that couldn't live without it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts