Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had cold starting issues since I bought my rig. I have changed the coldstart injector, the cold start time switch with no luck. I was thinking of just making a manual switch for the cold start injector. Anyone ever done this? Would straight 12 volts via a toggle switch work or does this use less current. I thought I read somewhere cold starts were positive ground. :confused: Any help would be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
just for the sake of discussion.
are you absolutely 100% sure the CS is the issue.
the idle valve is essentially a choke for the EFI.
and we all know what a bitch a carb can be without one.

i would double check amps to the CS injector, and make sure tis actually firing correctly.
the CS time switch grounds through the manifold, it either used a ground path that fires the injector or when it warms up it uses the alternate that bypasses the injector.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty sure that it is not getting fuel. You crank and crank and after about 20 seconds it will fire. If you hit it with starter fluid it will fire right up. You can shut it right off after it starts, and will start right up all day.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
it uses the same 12 volt signal from the ign switch that the starter does.
current is amps not volts.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could be the check valve on the fuel pump not holding pressure
I thought about that, I tried jumping the fuel pump jumper on the driverside fender well and letting the pump run for 30 seconds before trying to start it with no change. When I bought the truck the previous owner bypassed the key starter and added a starter button. I have also tried holding the key to the start position when using the starter button,no change. I want to just install a momentary switch directly on the cold start injector, but didn't want to fry anything.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
well with that are you sure the damn thing is even working when its supposed to?
if the wiring was hacked there is a chance the CS injector isnt working at all ever even with new parts.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well with that are you sure the damn thing is even working when its supposed to?
Well I know there is fuel to the coldstart,leaked out when I tried changing it. I have basically given up, it is just my trailrig so thats why I just figured i would rig a manual switch to the coldstart injector. So my question is. If I hit it with 12 volts will it fire it, or is it not that simple. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts