Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide if I should stick with my manual or change over to an auto. If I stay manual, I'll most likely go with a NV4500. If I go to an auto, I'll be using a TH400. I don't plan any rock crawling, just alot of trails and mud bogs. Please give opinions on wether an auto or manual would be best for this endeavor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What kind of jeep are you driving now, and what engine?

In general I think transmission choice is up to your own personal preference. What do you like to drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drive an '05 TJ. I will be changing the engine to a RamJet 350. I enjoy manual, but have been reading alot about the TH400, which seems very strong. So, I was wondering which would be better for my situation.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Autos offer better control and less breakage but they use power, you can't push start them and you need to use the brakes alot, plus the th400 is pretty long. I only have two feet so I need an auto but there alot of tough three footed guys out there.:grinpimp:

·
Registered
654 Posts
if you do go auto, make sure you move the breather vent to the top of the case, since you like to mud!

·
Registered
230 Posts
since you say you like mud i myself would go auto. That way you can just hit it wide open throttle in the mud and the auto will select the best gear and also down shift much faster than you could. Another reasone i'd go auto is there sealed. You don't have to worry about the clutche plate warping or the throwout bearing getting chewed up. I had my slave cylinder go on me after a yr. and the flywheel was warped after a year.

i do love a manual though as you get better fuel economy...but than again its a jeep!! hahaha

·
Registered
210 Posts
Auto Pros:
- easy to drive
- no clutch to fill with mud/water
- torque multiplication

Auto Cons
- robs power
- no compression braking
- Shifts whenever it feels like it

Manual Pros:
- use whatever gear you want
- compression braking
- typically pretty strong and easy to fix
- more fun to drive (ok, my opinion...)

Manual Cons:
- tend to loose momentum when shifting
- clutch can pack up with mud
- need 3 feet, and the hard on your left knee if you shift alot

I prefer an auto in the DD, and a manual in the trail rig.

Just my $0.02.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts