Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1977 Ford F250
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there finally created an account on here to ask this question, been a long time freeloader of the forum. I’m planning on doing an LQ4 swap (LY6 if I can find affordable one) with a small cam into my 77 F250 highboy (divorced tcase). Mostly used as a daily driver/hunting truck with light offroading and no or very minimal light towing, 4.10 gears and 37” tire 5200lbs. Speed limit in my area doesn’t exceed 55, so overdrive isn’t mandatory. I had planned to keep the original Ford NP435 and run an adapter from advanced adapters/Novak for ~$450 plus clutch and little things that come up. Obviously an NV4500 would be great but tough to find here, expensive and ratios are basically same as np435 plus OD. Then I saw a NV3500 for sale locally for $150. My brother had this trans in a 96 k1500 with a 350 headers, y pipe, cai, tune etc ran it 180k miles never had an issue then sold it. The nv3500 is supposed to only handle ~340ft lbs depending on your internet source. The 96 had to make well north of that (335ft lbs stock). NV3500s also came in joe Gibbs Silverado’s with supercharged 4.8s making 425ft lbs. Now neither example truck weighed as much as mine or had as much tire BUT am I crazy to consider it? Online you read they’re as fragile as a toothpick but you also randomly see them behind big power motors, an 8.1 and turbo 5.3 come to mind. From the guys who have them behind big power 2 things seem to be true, #1 no bang shifting (which I won’t do) and #2 no clutch dumps (which I’ve done once this year pulling sister in law out of snow bank). So again am I crazy to consider? 5 useable gear ratio spaced better than 3(np435) or 4(nv4500) for relatively the same price as keeping 4 speed and significantly less than nv4500? Seems like a win win

·
Registered
51 Posts
personally i don't think I would run the nv3500 in that heavy of a rig, especially when going to a mild lq4. I would try and find a 2wd 2500 and just run the lq4/4l80e combo and run it to your divorced case but that's just me..

With your situation, I would keep the np435 for strength alone. If it was a mall crawler or a lighter Toyota/s10 then it wouldn't be too much of a worry, but actually getting out on the trails and putting it in a bind, I wouldn't have faith in it.

also,,, look into getting rid of the divorced np203. they are heavy and chain case. get you a 205 and then send me the range box! ;) Ive been wanting to put together a divorced n203/205 doubler together.

·
P.B.A.
4,480 Posts
Mate the lq4 to sm465 and run divorced 205. Personally I’d go lq4 4l80 241

but I wouldn’t put an ls in a highboy either.

·
Registered
1977 Ford F250
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! Recently I’ve been considering going with a 5.3/nv3500 (which it would handle much better) in the truck instead of a 6.0 even though they make considerably less power and torque but for what I use it for do I really need the extra juice? Heart votes yes, head votes no.

A 4l80 isn’t really an option for me because I want this truck to stay a manual. The truck has a 205 t case not a 203 that some of these trucks came with and I’ll be keeping that for several reasons, though I may rebuild it.

I had considered going the sm465 route, it does seem like it would be very simple. As far as putting the LS in a Ford, it’s something different, they make good power, affordable, and they aren’t half bad on fuel plus I want efi. I wouldn’t mind swapping in a 460, rebuilding the 351 or going to something else Ford but everyone does that and based on the numbers I’ve run quite a bit more expensive. I had thought about a stroker BBF for a while but that gets expensive and would drain a 19 gallon tank in short order. All the tq would show you the weak points of your drivetrain, however. You can put that on both sides of the pro and con list.

·
Registered
21 Posts
if you can find a 32 spline output 4wd nv3500 for cheap then run a married 241. look into the length of the 3500 and a 4500 i am pretty sure there the same so if you blow it its a pretty easy swap. different area but i bought a 94 nv4500 truck for 700$ and a 2001 6.0 nv4500 truck for 1500$ so there out there. but pretty hard to find for sure. i look all the time for donor trucks. I had to drive 600 miles round trip for the 2001 but its a perfect winter beater then parts donor for a build.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Zf5’s are beefy, as tough or tougher than a nv45. Adaptation would be pricey though unless you went with a 460. I would be looking for a sm465 if you can’t find a nv45, basically the same thing minus od gear.

·
Registered
1977 Ford F250
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you can find a 32 spline output 4wd nv3500 for cheap then run a married 241. look into the length of the 3500 and a 4500 i am pretty sure there the same so if you blow it its a pretty easy swap. different area but i bought a 94 nv4500 truck for 700$ and a 2001 6.0 nv4500 truck for 1500$ so there out there. but pretty hard to find for sure. i look all the time for donor trucks. I had to drive 600 miles round trip for the 2001 but its a perfect winter beater then parts donor for a build.
i sure wouldn’t mind finding a donor Lq4/nv4500 truck. Would need a 2wd for divorced tcase. I found one when I first wanted to do this with 230k for $3000, but I didn’t have the cash at the time.

Zf5’s are beefy, as tough or tougher than a nv45. Adaptation would be pricey though unless you went with a 460. I would be looking for a sm465 if you can’t find a nv45, basically the same thing minus od gear.
I’ve heard good things about the Zf5, if I was going with a BBF I would pick one up. Wonder how one would handle a stroker BBF and 650tq 🤔

1 - 8 of 8 Posts