Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
Yeah, isn't exactly news. How about putting this in 4x4 Ge or something instead of a regional based forum - this isn't a California problem....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did another forum, but was trying to see if anyone else in my area had the issue too. I am new to all of this. What are the consequences it could have on my truck?

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
My Goodyear mt/r and General grabber both measure small, My Irok 39.5 measure 39 5/8. I've always wondered the same question.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Pretty common with all tires, espicially offroad tires. The only possible explanation I could ever come up with was that they make the molds to 38", but due to manufacturing process, when they pull the tire from the mold they come out smaller.

The bigger question is why are metric tire sizes so gay?:D

Kevo

·
flamethrower
12,604 Posts
If, when you were shopping for the tires, had used a metric conversion calculator (online - most tire manufacturers websites have them) it would give you the actual size. It is common for the Metric tires to be smaller, then depending on what wheel width you install it on it can be altered even more.

It's something that most 4x4 enthusiasts already know and deal with.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Manly dependent on rim width and air pressure as to what they actually measure too. Its almost standard for all off road tires to be down a couple inches from what they are listed at.

·
Registered
21,824 Posts
This just in - 2x4's aren't really 2x4. :eek:

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Did you ever watch a dragster do a burnout ? The tires get taller from the centrifugal forces of the tire spinning . Same idea for off road tires . If your axle gets hung up . Then you spin the tires as fast as you can . Your tires will get 38 inches tall and your truck will lift up over the rocks

Here watch this

1 - 14 of 14 Posts