Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at getting back on the bike again after selling mine about five years ago. i've been looking around a little and the marin has caught my attention. my girlfriend has a simple hard tail marin and it seems like a really nice bike. but that is the only experiencei've had with one. this new four link looks pretty nice. does anyone have any info about them yet

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes. The Marin 4-link bike is really good. Which one are you looking at? A good freind of mine works for Marin and I could get the skinny for you. I do know that what they have done is added "shackles" to there existing design. I'ts truely A virtual pivot point bike but they cant call it that without paying up for some licensing. As the rear suspension moves up and down the pivot floats around. Not literally but on A virtual plane. Makes for plush suspension with NO bob and an arcing up and down wheel path. Good stuff.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are 4 models. starting with the east peak and going up to mount vision pro. i'll probably look at the middle 2 which are the rift zone and the mount vision. i'm not a big fan of the high dollar componants that shave off half a gram, but i'd also like to try the whole disc brake thing. i've got a bad itch to get back to slick rock in moab, that place is awesome, hope my girlfriend doesn't mind if i borrow her credit card:D

like i said i've been out of the bike world for a while so i'm a little behind on whats up. what is a reasonable weight for a full suspension bike?

·
Registered
759 Posts
like i said i've been out of the bike world for a while so i'm a little behind on whats up. what is a reasonable weight for a full suspension bike?
well as far as weight that all depends on the type of fs bike. But for a mid-level xc bike I would say about 30-35 lbs. Have you checked out any other brands? Specialized makes a hell of a bike, I would say they are the best bang for you buck. What type of riding are you going to do?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've looked at a couple different bikes including a specialized (don't remember which model off hand), most were priced around $1500 or so. the reason the marin has caught my attention so much was that it was in popular mechanics as revolutionizing the rear suspension. plus it only weighs in at 24.4 pounds. that is for the top model, but all the 4 links have the exact same frame so i'll bet they all weigh about the same.

as for the type of riding i do, i suppose it is single track. i just like to go find a trail up in the mountains, get up it( the sucky part) then hall ass down. that is the biggest rush i've ever felt. i tell all my friends, if they want a natural high to try downhill biking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts