Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was at the lake, and got to BS-ing with a guy with a '96 mastercraft prostar. Anyhow. he mentioned it had an LT1 in it. I got to wondering about the distributor, since LT1 distributors are notorious for not liking moisture. He said it had direct ignition on it. He poped the hood, and it had coil packs mounted on the front of the engine. Other than that, it looked just like my LT1. Anyone know anything about these? Do they use the same pcm? What would be envolved in converting, parts availibility etc? I am going to check LT1tech and see if those guys know.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I run an LT-1 with the Delteq Opti-Direct system. Love it. My Black Magic Fan shorted out on a 4.5 foot deep water crossing, but the ignition was fine. I am not used to seeing EFI in a boat. Does it have any logos on it at all? There was a lot of LT-1 crate programs that have since been discontinued. I would have followed all seventy-five some wires to the computer to get a look at that.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Halogrinder said:
would it matter? just put the plug wires that were reversed, to standard rotation? :confused:
what??

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Halogrinder said:
er, so put a standard rotation cam (ls1 HOTcam) and 18436572 and away you go, eh?
what about the starter? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Halogrinder said:
ok so ya need a starter too? flip the polarity! fawk im lost on reverse rotation engines. :flipoff2:
How would the transmission work?
The axles would be fine if you flipped them and never drove them over 15 mph.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
The link I provided would use your stock ECM and would gut your current distributor of the rotor leaving just the trigger wheel.

From talking with the guy that made it, that gets rid of the majority of the problems. If I remember correctly, after you've stopped using the dizzy to spark, only to read position, then you can seal it because there aren't the gases (ozone) from the sparking that cause the breakdown in the electronics. You'd have to speak to him, because I'm not an expert, just talked to him about it a few times about it.

Anyway, you use his box and LS1 (or 4.8/5.3/6.0) coil packs rather than the rest of the stock LT1 ignition.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
montywa said:
Another problem with the rev. rotation is the seals are usualy directional.
yes, i believe a lot of them use one way directional crank bearings to prevent standard rotation.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Halogrinder said:
would it matter? just put the plug wires that were reversed, to standard rotation? :confused:
I think that would be possible. I wasnt planning on using the whole engine, just finding the pcm and harness, or whatever I needed to put the DIS on my motor. So, I think you could move the wires to get the right order. If it is sequential injection, instead of batch fire, you might have to move some injector wires too. But, I dont think it was reverse rotation anyways.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mh4Runner said:
I run an LT-1 with the Delteq Opti-Direct system. Love it. My Black Magic Fan shorted out on a 4.5 foot deep water crossing, but the ignition was fine. I am not used to seeing EFI in a boat. Does it have any logos on it at all? There was a lot of LT-1 crate programs that have since been discontinued. I would have followed all seventy-five some wires to the computer to get a look at that.
It didnt have any logos on it. It did have the vette covers, which he said it came with new. I was trying to see if it was using the opti for crank position, but I couldnt see, and I didnt know the guy, so I didnt want to just jump up in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts