Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do the marlin 30 spline birfields compare to longs or dirty 30s? Haven't seen any mention of them on here. I exploded one with a 22re AT and 35s. Was wondering if I should change brands.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
30 spline axles

I can give you what I know on the subject.

Empi, is the company that makes the 30 spline axles that MC sells. From MC site:

"These axles are made by the popular Volkswagen company EMPI. Precision CNC machined from 4340 Chromoly material with a larger 30-spline shaft, they far exceed the strength of the stock stock components."

Is there anything wrong with them, NO. Are there stronger axles out there? Yes.

Some of the companies you know and buy from have used EMPI for their 30 spline axle/birf besides MC. They just dont tell you thats who they are made by and polish the name off so you cant tell.:shaking:

The most popular 30 spline axle/birf that is well known to be the strongest was NOT made by EMPI. They were made by RCV. The market has changed a bit lately. I still think RCV makes the best 30 spline axle/birf set today. They are MADE in the USA and have the best warranty. This is my knowledge of this issue and is my opinion.:smokin:

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
30 Spline Axles

You might be right. I have looked them over pretty good. They dont have any characteristics of any other birf I have seen before. And they actually look different. They almost have a chrome look to them.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
You might be right. I have looked them over pretty good. They dont have any characteristics of any other birf I have seen before. And they actually look different. They almost have a chrome look to them.
The chrome thing is not new. Every Long I have seen has been chromed....and they seem to be actually plated not just polished.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Ya know, there was more to my last post but I deleted it before posting to avoid a shit show but after watching that I have to speak up and ask.

What is the deal with the "powered by trail gear" longfield's? Or to be more direct, where are they made? I have heard some new rumors (not just the same old tg bashing, fresh info from a reliable source) and after looking at your website they seem to be confirmed. You used to advertise "made in the USA" and now it is "designed, tested, and assembled in the USA" pretty sure this answers my question but it would nice to hear it from the horses mouth.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
They almost have a chrome look to them.
Really depends on the grade of steel you are working with. Steel can be polished to a high luster that you would think they were chromed. Years ago when I first detailed my classic Triumph MC for shows it had on it what appeared to be a lot of chromed but it was really the results of many hours spent on a buffing wheel. After I would buff them, I would put a heavy coat of hard wax on the pieces to retain the luster.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ya know, there was more to my last post but I deleted it before posting to avoid a shit show but after watching that I have to speak up and ask.

What is the deal with the "powered by trail gear" longfield's? Or to be more direct, where are they made? I have heard some new rumors (not just the same old tg bashing, fresh info from a reliable source) and after looking at your website they seem to be confirmed. You used to advertise "made in the USA" and now it is "designed, tested, and assembled in the USA" pretty sure this answers my question but it would nice to hear it from the horses mouth.
Interested in this aswell

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
doesnt "powered by trail-girl" just mean that they are now the sole distributor of Longfield Super axles?

It would seem not. this is copied from RVC's website

"Please be aware RCV Performance branded Toyota 30 spline sets are the only authentic product true to form with the Bobby Long tradition"

Toyota Axle Shafts

From what it looks like the Toyota axle market has changed a bit despite what we were led to believe during the change of longfield ownership. Yes I am speculating, yes I could be completely wrong, but until someone in the know can confirm otherwise this seems to be what it looks like.

so far the info we have is...

#1 RCV, who made bobbies shafts, is saying they are the only ones who sell longfield spec shafts shafts.

#2 TG no longer sells "made in the USA" shafts and we all know Longfields were made here by RCV

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
30 spline axles

It would seem not. this is copied from RVC's website

"Please be aware RCV Performance branded Toyota 30 spline sets are the only authentic product true to form with the Bobby Long tradition"

Toyota Axle Shafts

From what it looks like the Toyota axle market has changed a bit despite what we were led to believe during the change of longfield ownership. Yes I am speculating, yes I could be completely wrong, but until someone in the know can confirm otherwise this seems to be what it looks like.

so far the info we have is...

#1 RCV, who made bobbies shafts, is saying they are the only ones who sell longfield spec shafts shafts.

#2 TG no longer sells "made in the USA" shafts and we all know Longfields were made here by RCV
:smokin:

·
Registered
940 Posts
I just looked at the tg site and doesn´t say anything about made in the usa. This is what I think , all stuff included in the package is not produced in the usa. They assemble the birf whack it on the axle and ready for shipment,but time will tell.The extras can be included for roughly the same price and they still have the same profit because nothing is made here. This is a great selling point for them , but this also takes the wind out of the sail for us Longfield fans . This is some what of an example of my post ,about a year ago I did a search for a stock toyota rear axle replacment shafts on the intraweb and clicking on the results and found one where you could get a shaft for somewhere in the 25.00 range ,but you had to order a ridiculous amount of them and shipped from the big old C word . But anyway this is just my opinion and god bless the Longfield family for what they have done us .

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Matt:

1) Is the inner star of the dirty30 another version of vacuum remelted 4340, but not the now commonly talked about, but not necessarily superior, 300m?

2) Are dirty30 parts arriving on a boat and then being assembled in the USA?

·
Premium Member
29,440 Posts
In for updates.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Do not know where TG's dirty 30's are made, then buy from RCV directly.

RCV Off-Road Performance Products - CV Joints, Axle Kits, Tools

How do you know that Marlins from EMPI are not the same thing that Bobby did, have RCV make them with their brand on them.

Just like in my drag racing, there was a number of brands of R&P's. Guess what most were cut by the same factory!!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To update from my original post, the great guy's at Marlin Crawler informed me that while their empi built 30s are strong the RCV's are much stronger and recommended that I upgrade to the RCV's.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts