Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the giant mutant squirrels won't stay out of my garden:mad3:. I never thought that squash and zucchini were on a squirrel's diet, but apparently they love it. So I needed some squirrel control. I rent my place and the folks I rent from have horse pastures around me so they freak out about renters and firearms:shaking:, but I've got to stop the squirrels. I gave my dad my .22 to help dilute the overpopulation of cats at my old family farm and the only small caliber firearm I had on hand was a .17hmr which I feel is a bit to loud to inconspicuously solve my problem. So off to the pawn shops I went. I was originally looking for something cheap that would shoot .22 shorts, but most all that I could find was over priced or a tiny little youth model. I kind of gave up on the .22 short plan and decided I'd just find a decent .22LR and get some sub sonic rounds. Long story short I left the pawn shop today with a new to me Marlin 995 that was a little worse for ware. I gave 70 bones for it and got a free hat, koozie, and box of shells:D. I got it home and fired a few rounds through it just to make sure it works; seemed pretty accurate with the iron sights that were on it (I've got and old Simmons 3-9x40 to mount on it.) I then disassembled the thing to clean it up. I've already sanded and stained the stock that was beat all to hell; after a coat of varnish it should look as good as or better than new. The barrel, receiver, and weaver mount had more rust than bluing on them, and I intend to just strip them down and hit them with some Rustoleum and clear coat.

So I've googled the Marlin 995 and couldn't find much good, bad, or indifferent. I've already got the thing so I guess whether or not to buy it is a moot point. So what say you oh great sportsmen/women of the PBB. Did I get hosed out of 70 bucks? Anything I should pay extra attention to on this particular firearm? Am I lazy for just spraying some Rustoleum instead of actually rebluing (I've done if before, it's not fun, and this is all being done on the cheap)? Are the Remington Subsonic .22s going to be quiet enough to convince the landlords that the neighbors are shooting off fire works (there are at least 3 fireworks stands in the area)? Thanks, in advance.

- Lee

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Sounds like you have a form 1 in your future then. I'm hopefully getting a supressor later this year to take out with me hunting. I want to hunt squirrels and deer at the same time

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
I love Marlin's, my second gun ever was a Marlin model 60. Yeah they're not the greatest, but they have sentimental value to me. The only gripe I had about the older ones was the triggers used to be pretty rough or just hard to pull compared to a good bolt action huntin' gun. A few minutes with some stones or $80 will get you a really nice trigger pull if you know what you're doing. Congrats on the 995 and post some pics!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Try the CCI subsconics a bit quieter then the Rem and much more accurate.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
For $70 and it goes bang when you pull the trigger you can't go wrong. :grinpimp:
Kind of my reasoning too I guess.

Sounds like you have a form 1 in your future then. I'm hopefully getting a supressor later this year to take out with me hunting. I want to hunt squirrels and deer at the same time
Not near future, but some day.

I love Marlins, my second gun ever was a Marlin model 60. Yeah they're not the greatest, but they have sentimental value to me. The only gripe I had about the older ones was the triggers used to be pretty rough or just hard to pull compared to a good bolt action huntin' gun. A few minutes with some stones or $80 will get you a really nice trigger pull if you know what you're doing. Congrats on the 995 and post some pics!
I've nevere heard bad things about Marlin's, this is the first one I've ever owned. I seriously considered them when shopping for a .17hmr but went with a Savage 93R17 BTVS with the AccuTrigger (it was love at first sight). I really don't have any experiance with any actuall gun smithing, but would be willing to give it a shot while I've got it apart if you've got any pointers. Give me a bit on the pictures, I'll post what I've accomplished so far.

Try the CCI subsconics a bit quieter then the Rem and much more accurate.
Not the first time I've heard this, I was looking for the CCIs but I was at the Wally-World and all they had were 2 boxes of the Remington Subsonics, so I decided to give them a shot (pun intended):D.

- Lee

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
It's a simple screw in affair for the rifle basix trigger, I'm not keen on stoning my own trigger just yet.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I were a smarter man I would have taken pictures of how it looked when I got it, but at that time I didn't know I would be documenting the progress. Oh well. At this point the stock is stained and the outer blued parts have been stripped and painted.

The stock sanded and stained. Originally beat to hell walnut but now it’s red mahogany. I built and refurbished some bedroom furniture for my girl friend in mahogany and I really liked how it looked plus I already had the stain on hand.

The stock was pretty beat up so it took a lot of sanding to get everything smoothed out. The grips on the stock originally hatching etched/carved into them, but as you can see that is no longer the case.

Inner workings all cleaned up.

I used Rustoleum Hammered Black. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not, but so far I think it looks pretty good. I like the textured look. The pictures don’t do it justice.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I knew this was the right place to come. I'll clear coat the metal parts, varnish the stock, and post some updated pics. Feel free to comment. The squirrels will soon meet their doom.

- Lee

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Dont clear coat the rustoleum, just bake it in the oven for an hour at 300 degrees. I used the hammered silver on my first AK build and it has held up GREAT. I was suprised at how durable it is for an aerosol paint.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Dont clear coat the rustoleum, just bake it in the oven for an hour at 300 degrees. I used the hammered silver on my first AK build and it has held up GREAT. I was suprised at how durable it is for an aerosol paint.
I cleared it before reading this, oh we'll see how it holds up. I'm not too worried about it.

- Lee

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the Marlin is pretty much done. I'm impressed with how well the hammered Rustoleum looks. I did a lot of prep work, sanding, cleaning, and taping which seems to have paid off with the look of the final product. The stock turned out good too. It's got 4 coats of satin gloss polyurethane sanded with 400 and then 1000 grit. I'm pretty happy with the results of this little project. The only thing I've still got to do is get some different rings for my scope. The rings I have are too wide to mount on the Marlin's rail.

On another note: I've shot a few of the Remington .22 Subsonics and am not that impressed with the noise level of their report. Everyone says the CCI's are the quietest. Are they really? I'm thinking 22 short quiet and these Remingtons are defiantly not that quiet. Thanks in advance with for your 2 cents.

On with the pictures.

- Lee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts