Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running Marlin's dual mini cases behind a SBC?

My 25 has a Chevy 283 with sm465 & np205. I'm looking to toss the 205 and go with dual mini t-cases with either 2.28/2.28 or 2.28/4.7. It looks like Marlin's 465/toybox adapter uses the 10 spline output. I hope that's not a weak point. I found 30 or 32 spline output shafts available for the 465.

I was hoping to save some d-shaft length, but it appears the length will be about the same as what I have now or slightly longer :(. I was counting the length as 1.2" for 465 adapter, 6.5" for reduction box & adapter, and 13" for mini case. The 465/205 coupler is at least 6", and the 205 is about 13".

I was going to trade the 283 for a 350 or 292. Looks like it will be a 350, and I'll have to push it forward :).

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I have a set of dual mini tcases behind a sm420. Been pretty happy so far..

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RustyNailJustin said:
A good wheeling buddy of mine runs dual cases behind a 383 and has broke a couple 10 spline outputs. THis is in a pretty light toyota truck.
THe tranny output shaft or Marlin's adapter?

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
cruiserman said:
Jason, what motor are you running?
IIRC, Jason's still running the 2F, with a turbo. Of course I'm using the word 'running' in a liberal, figurative sense, since his truck is down more than up! :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Why not put a np203 between the tranny and 205?

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Run a stock 350, Auto tranny, and Single toy mini truck case. Put a 4:1 gearset in there, and call it good. You will have a rear driveshaft, and you will have the low gears. You can keep the axles at 4.11 gears, and the Toy t-case is plenty strong as long as you are wise with it. BTW, I think the mini truck case is stronger than the cruiser case. But you will be nowhere near the strength of a 205.

Dima

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flatty said:
Run a stock 350, Auto tranny, and Single toy mini truck case. Put a 4:1 gearset in there, and call it good. You will have a rear driveshaft, and you will have the low gears. You can keep the axles at 4.11 gears, and the Toy t-case is plenty strong as long as you are wise with it. BTW, I think the mini truck case is stronger than the cruiser case. But you will be nowhere near the strength of a 205.

Dima
I may have to go this route if I can't move the motor forward some. A 700R4 would be nice :). 203/205 is too big and heavy.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
RustyNailJustin said:
A good wheeling buddy of mine runs dual cases behind a 383 and has broke a couple 10 spline outputs. THis is in a pretty light toyota truck.
He must have had a bad output shaft or a large brick for a right foot. Those trannys have seen much harsher treatment than what we put them through.

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
LCOwner said:
He must have had a bad output shaft or a large brick for a right foot. Those trannys have seen much harsher treatment than what we put them through.

Yea he does have a pretty heavy foot. But he does wild shit like climbing the water fall in upper helldorado WFO!!! Fun to watch :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts