Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding an 85 front axle now - the diff is still a stock r&p w/ no locker. I'd like to get the axle in and set the majority of the weight (the front end) down on wheels / tires while I do a rear frame extension on the rig. Its been on stands while I stumbled through my front frame work. I realize each martack is different for each axle and application - My question is if I follow zuk's advice - & tack it so I have 1/8" between a straight edge across the ball and the outside of the inner axle- I should be good on whatever locker I put in the 3rd w/ whatever r&p? I also have seen concern that this is not enough room for the bearings to seat (in my days of searching)
Should I just put the inners in w/ no tack until I get my third setup - i wont be wheeling it until I get locked and geared so this makes sense BUT if the 1/8" from the outside is universal - why not go ahead and do it while I'm rebuilding this axle? of course a new third member - means pull em anyway so just do it then?

Thanks-

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
different thirds have different martack locations. i have an e-locker and i screwed it up a couple times. with my tack right at the end of the splines, the birf/inner assmbly wouldn't seat all the way and caused it to bind. get your locker in there and then tack em.:beer: :beer:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
You're gonna have to put the locker in, and tack the shaft at the very end of the spines. Then just keep mving the tack-weld in until the axle can't slide in off of the inner seal.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Fueler

Do you remember what the measurment that you came up with with your E locker by chance ? I just installed a E locker in the front and forgot to add a martack or circlip. So I gotta pull it apart and tac it up.

thx
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
no tack.

the elocker will not let the inner axle walk in.

no tack and my shit dont leak:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
DaveWFO----You can do a quick test to see if it needs a tack......just pop the six 10 mm bolts that remove the hub engagement cover and remove the outer clip....then see how far in you can push the axle stub.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Longfield said:
As far as the Martack goes, if you put the tack where the splines end, it actually works fine for open or lockers of all types. We pride ourselves on customer service, if we hear anything different we always have room for improvement.:)

words from the man himself:p

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
BJ On Roids said:
if your "third" has a cross pin dont worry about the martack!
On a LC font Lockright you need the martack...

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
BJ On Roids said:
if your "third" has a cross pin dont worry about the martack!
Why do you keep saying this as its not correct?

I have a cross pin and i still need to Martack!
It all depends on what style third you are running wether it is an open diff or a locker and what brand locker it has.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts