Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you guys doing it. I don't have the means to weld on chromoly. I'm guessing that most of you guys are just using your standard MIG setup and sticking a tack on there (which I could do). Any adverse effects to the chromo axle?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
i don't think that a little quik tack weld is going to have a major effects on the stregth of the material, and the inside is not what would normally break its the out side next to the birfeild that would give( the smallest part).

Cliff

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
e cliff said:
i don't think that a little quik tack weld is going to have a major effects on the stregth of the material, and the inside is not what would normally break its the out side next to the birfeild that would give( the smallest part).

Cliff

That was pretty much my thought. Just wondering what guys are doing.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
hey cliff, can you ask stainless steel dave to recommend a rod for martacking these?
i can't speek for him but he might say to use a tig welder or a ark welder with a high nickle stick electrode. but i could be wrong ;)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
What type of front lock you got? i have an e-locker and didn't need to tack weld on mine. If your running long's and cromo axles i think you can get away with running the clip on the birfield end of the axle which would eliminate the need for the martack.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i just gave mine a zap from the mig.
Ditto on this. The material you're adding doesn't matter in this circumstance (it provides no strength, nor is it inteded to). The heat you apply (although very little) is what would have any adverse affect on the axle strength. I think it's fine. Actually, I think you have a better chance at not fawking up the axle if you use a mig, rather than a stick of the right metal composition. Although, when I did mine, I got the wonderful pleasure of making my first tack too close....and got to use the die grinder to remove it :rolleyes:

I say go for it, it can't hurt too much :flipoff2:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
hey cliff, can you ask stainless steel dave to recommend a rod for martacking these?
how are you doing paul? - mig or tig would work i don't think structual issues would matter that much - i would prefer tig- arc and mig produce splatter which you would have to remove which is easily done. no fancy rod or bling bling alloy necessary but if you wanted to use it you could- i thought we only used bling bling alloy to fix the stuff we break when the gang goes wheeling! there is a much more important issue- heat! if you are not careful with your tack weld you can distort axle- i use small amounts of heat with small torch tip to straighten bent shafts- long shafting like axles are easily distorted when overloaded with to much torque this technique is used often in industrial applications in a attempt to save shafting. putting a tack weld on a straigh-t shaft could warp it if to much heat is applied be carefull! if in doubt put shaft between centers in a lathe. i have quite a few bent dana 44 inners laying on shop floor- removed from trucks at wrecking yards- could not get past dial indicator check between centers in my lathe. i straightened some of them but i'm reluctant to use them they are heat treated-worried about strength issues after using heat to straighten them- i have friends that use these tricks on turbine shafts and assure me there wont be any failures created from the straightening process using small amounts of localized heat-maybe a metallurgy expert on this board could share their knowledge. most likley dutchman,summerbrothers,markwilliams.moser,sandy cone would void any warranty on their axles if the found a tackweld on them. this post is not to deter you from tack welding just making you aware of the problems that could arise from it.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
dave!!! did you say that ALL in one breath:D :D we should be kool, the tack is just a little bzzz at like 120* each(3)...i finally quit stick welding everything, my brother bought a millermatic 175:D

wait until you see my new P.O.S. :D:D

·
Registered
670 Posts
paul- can't wait to see your new p.o.s.-rumor has it that new top secret project at livermore skunkworks beginning this month- has something to do with e-cliff maybe he will post pictures of his modifications on his toy- i think i'll be envious of new rig when he is done- maybe i'll get a ride in it on trail sometime this summer.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.