Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MAS adjustment -HELP !!!!!!!!

I have been searching for a long time and can't find the answers. I added a cam and header and wanted to try an adjust the MAS. Which way do you adjust the gear. Also could someone please post a pick of the inside of the sensor. I had a jumper come loose and I can tell where it goes :mad3:

Thanks....

·
Registered
535 Posts
first off, the technicall name for it is a AFM or, an air flow meter. a mass air sensor, or mass air flow sensor are different things.

a AFM is the box with a flap that we have on our pre 95 toyotas.
a MAF is a sensor that is basically a heated wire that is in the air flow, and is what is used on the newer toyotas.

so, if you are searching, you'll need to search for AFM.

2nd, there isn't really a need to adjust the AFM. if you do mods on it to make the engine flow better, the flap will just open more than it did before, telling the ecu how much air is really coming into the engine. thats the whole point of these things, it reads a true measurement of how much air is coming in, and it add's fuel appropriately.

now, you can adjust the afm, if you want to fool the thing into thinking that there is MORE air than there really is(which would make it run richer), or you could modifiy it to think that there is LESS air going through, which would make it run leaner. you can do this as stated in that write-up.

some people might want to fool it into running richer, which might make more power, and resist detonation better. but you'll get worse gas milage. but without a wide-band o2 sensor, it's a crap-shoot as to how rich you are actualy making it, and if you are hurting, or helping things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts