1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the scoop:

74 CJ5
drum brakes all around
and yes, I searched for help first, but found nothing on this weirdism. :flipoff2:

So my master cylinder gave up the ghost. I replaced it with a rebuilt one from my local Kragen. Installed, and all working great. A week later I pop the cap just to check the fluid level and I notice the front of the cylinder body is coated in DOT3. So is the steering shaft and the wheel well. I wipe it coof, fill up the cylinder which is down just a little and call it "strange". I check it two weeks later and I notice a ton of fluid has leaked out. The main reservoir was almost empty, but the second one was still full. it seems that the fluid is leaking from under the rubber seal. The seal seems to be new. I remember checking it out before I installed it. :mad3:

What gives? Is the spring not holding the cap down enough? Have any of you had this happen?

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
bring it back and tell them its fawked so they give you another. check your actuator/pin/thingie/whatever its called? clearance to make sure it is not going to far (possible??)check you lines check your fittings. wipe all the shat off and have a bud stomp the brakes a few times and see if it is something just as stupid as a pin leak in a line

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had something like this but it was just because the rubber gasket wasn't sealing it was falling into the reserve.. it was my bad I had put the gasket on the reserve instead of poping it into the cap.. It held for a while too but then one day I just see brake fluid everywhere... and that was the culprit...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts