Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what master cylinder to use on my 72 cj5. I am running disk brakes at all four corners with a 44 in the front and a 9" in the rear. Because of my clutch master cylinder I can't run a booster. I have heard of running a corvet cylinder but I really don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am using the stock master cylinder on mine. I have a scout 44 up front and an early bronco 9" rear. The rear still has drums though. I also have power brakes. But to use the stock master cylinder I just removed the little pressure retaining valves from the MC. To do this take the lines off of the MC and use a 10/32 machine screw and screw it into the cone shape. Pull it out and remove the rubber and spring from below. Replace cone and tighten brakelines and they will reseat the cone.
I have had no problems at all with mine and it stops fine. steve

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: 73cjsteve ]

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just went throught the exact same thing on my 79' CJ. I have manual brakes and just added rear discs. After a few different master cylinders, I finally found on that works great. I used a 71' Vette with disc/disc manual brakes. Make sure you get the manual MC, a power version was also available. Ran me $30 at Murrys auto.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also, you may have to lengthen your current push rod to keep the same pedal stroke. In my case the Vette plunger was about 1/2" deeper so I had to lengthen the rod 1/2".

·
Registered
825 Posts
Check into a Chevette booster. They tend to fit where others won't

1 - 5 of 5 Posts