Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a dan foss unit sometime ago for free. It came out of a forklift. The number is something like opc80, and has 4.5 rev. I know alot of people have higher rev numbers, but this is free, so was hoping to use it. I have beenlooking at the surplus center double cylinder, and was wondering if that 2.5x8 would work well, and What kinda of steering characteristics would I be looking at with that ram and my orbit? ie turns lock to lock and such. Im turning 42's on a welded 60 with flanges. Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just talking with a few people, I was told it would be somewhere in the 8 turns lock to lock range. So thats about 4 both ways. I don't remember what was stock. Anyone in this range, and is that too slow for a trailered rig, that sees no road miles? I guess 20-30 mph would be tops. Seems that would work fine for crawling.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I would think 8 is way too much. You'd want quicker steering. I have around 3 turns lock-lock on my full hydraulic setup. If you wanted less turns with your valve, you'll need a smaller ram but you will loose steering power. The valves are rated at how much CC's they move per revolution...this is a fixed number and doesn't change.

·
Registered
704 Posts
This formula will give you the number of turns lock-to-lock (double-ended cylinder):

((bore/2)^2*3.1415*stroke-(shaftdia/2)^2*3.1415*stroke)/orbitalvol

Assuming you're talkin' about the 2.5x8x1.5 cyl, we have '

((2.5/2)^2*3.1415*8-(1.5/2)^2*3.1415*8)/4.5

= 5.6 turns lock-lock.

(XiCalc is a great prog for solving these things)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Amund! If thats correct, then it would be 2.8 turns to the left and 2,8 to the right. I can live with that for now. I can always change it later. I was under the impression it was going to be 8 turns lock to lock. 5.6 still is prolly high, but for a trailored rig, that never goes over 20mph, that should work. Dennis

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
I have the same valve on a 2x10 and it sucks
but it works

wheel it change it later

btw mine is 5.5 one way and 6 the other

1 - 8 of 8 Posts