Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on mating a NP203 to a 700R4? On ORD's website it mentions a 1" thick "factory spacer". No reply from them to my email yet. Any ideas what spacer would mate these two together?

I'm looking to use the range box of the NP203 in a doubler box to a NP205.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
There's a spacer for people swapping Th350's... not sure if that's the one they mean. If you need one, it would be easy as hell to make on a lathe.. or with a hole saw and a drill press LOL

you need a Th350-version 203. I'm doing this m'self.

·
Registered
25 Posts
700 to 203

Search its been covered thats how I found out what to do

get a 203 for a th350 with 27 spline input

Drill and tap the front of the 203 for the round 6 bolt pattern

line up the 203 and bolt it up, you may have to possibly trim a little off the 700 output shaft to make it fit but I've had no problems for 5 years of hard abuse

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Either cut your shaft or make your own spacer, man! That thing is $90. Come on. :D
It would cost more than $90 to buy the stuff to tap it and all, plus I lack the know-how just yet and would fawk up my case.:flipoff2: If it'll work, I'm on it like white on rice.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
well, thatll make the perfect pile of shit... a junk trans, and a junk transfer case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
well, thatll make the perfect pile of shit... a junk trans, and a junk transfer case.

While I kind of agree, since the 700r4 will likely get stress cracks from the weight, it can be done if needed. I cut down a th350 adapter (coincidentally it's 1" thick!) and welded it to another th350 adapter to make mine. Or, you can bob the shaft 1" and chamfer the ends down.

I even doped the adapter and weld areas with JB weld to smooth things out and possibly reinforce the area, since it's a little thin. I still don't know how well it will hold up, but everything's good so far.

Joe

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While I kind of agree, since the 700r4 will likely get stress cracks from the weight, it can be done if needed. I cut down a th350 adapter (coincidentally it's 1" thick!) and welded it to another th350 adapter to make mine. Or, you can bob the shaft 1" and chamfer the ends down.

I even doped the adapter and weld areas with JB weld to smooth things out and possibly reinforce the area, since it's a little thin. I still don't know how well it will hold up, but everything's good so far.

Joe
This being Pirate, I just ignore any useless, asshole comments like that.

I was planning to go with the spacer and bob the shaft and clean up the splines afterwards, I just wanted to make sure that spacer would do the job.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This being Pirate, I just ignore any useless, asshole comments like that.
technically, thats not useless. hes tellin you that you could have weight problems hangin a 203/205 off the back of a chincy 700. i cracked mine hangin just a 205 off my old one.

·
Registered
658 Posts
putting these on the back of a 700r4 isnt the problem it when you dont suport the weight good enough with crossmembers. You are goin to need at least two good crossmembers to support the weight. one at the trans to 203 adapter and then on one to hold the wieght of the 205. I am in the middle of getting all the parts to do this exact swap into my jeep.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
It would cost more than $90 to buy the stuff to tap it and all, plus I lack the know-how just yet and would fawk up my case.:flipoff2: If it'll work, I'm on it like white on rice.

Taps will cost you $5, lathe time to bore a $5 chunk of Al should be a good bit less than $80, and drill bits are about $5 too.

I just learned what being a chickenshit costs-- about $90. :flipoff2:

kidding aside, it's your money, and your parts. If you're not confident w/it, ok. I just think of how little I like going to work, and try to minimize my PERSONAL necessity of doing so. :D

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
technically, thats not useless. hes tellin you that you could have weight problems hangin a 203/205 off the back of a chincy 700. i cracked mine hangin just a 205 off my old one.
putting these on the back of a 700r4 isnt the problem it when you dont suport the weight good enough with crossmembers. You are goin to need at least two good crossmembers to support the weight. one at the trans to 203 adapter and then on one to hold the wieght of the 205. I am in the middle of getting all the parts to do this exact swap into my jeep.
Yeah, I was planning a crossmember for each.

Taps will cost you $5, lathe time to bore a $5 chunk of Al should be a good bit less than $80, and drill bits are about $5 too.

I just learned what being a chickenshit costs-- about $90. :flipoff2:

kidding aside, it's your money, and your parts. If you're not confident w/it, ok. I just think of how little I like going to work, and try to minimize my PERSONAL necessity of doing so. :D
I just don't want to fawk up either the tranny or the tcase. I just figure if I mess either of them up, I'd end up out more than $90. If that plate will work, I'll roll with it. I can cut the shaft down myself.

·
Registered
196 Posts
as said before you should make a mount for both trans and t-case. i have seen 700's crack with weight behind them, i am running a 700-205 combo, made mounts for both and had no problems yet :D. been running it for almost 3 years now

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nah, I meant Grumpy's comment, not MyaScapes. I wasn't clear on that.

So, besides the fact that it's $90, would the adapter I posted actually work to mate the 700R4 to the NP203 range box?

Also, just out of curiosity - Tacoma73, which doubler adapter are you using?

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
i have a th350 203 redrilled to a round pattern, and im using a stock np241 adaptor to mate it to my 700r4. so ya all stock stuff didnt have to buy anything.

its been a LONG time since i put that thing on butttt i do remember there being decent spline engagement at least an inch. the bearing retainer didnt fit perfectly(tight) but with even gentle hits with a rubber mallet the cast steel(iron?) adaptor won and now fits perfectly(ha). im sure i could have turned it down on a lathe for a percise accurate fit but fuck it its spins well now and was going on a trail truck.

·
Registered
230 Posts
ok not to beat a dead horse but how much more does a 700r4 shaft stick out as compared to a th350? im just going to have a friend machine an adapter/spacer for me and i need to know how thick to have him make it. i dont have a th 350 in front of me so i cant meassure it myself.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
how are you going to tap it... i think you would just get longer bolts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
does any one know the stock t case for a 1995 chevy tahoe 4dr lt

1 - 20 of 20 Posts