Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '93 ZJ w/ a dead tranny. Will an AW4 (assuming that's what the '89 XJ w/ the 4.0L has) bolt up to the 318 and function? I know some ZJ's came w/ an AW4, but they were all 4.0's.
Does the '89 XJ tranny even have OD?

And if that won't work, the 4.0L AND the AW4 should slide in and bolt right up into the ZJ, correct???
(Don't care about replacing the 318 w/ the 4.0L...just trying to get the vehicle running to sell it.)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Krash80 said:
I have a '93 ZJ w/ a dead tranny. Will an AW4 (assuming that's what the '89 XJ w/ the 4.0L has) bolt up to the 318 and function? I know some ZJ's came w/ an AW4, but they were all 4.0's.
Does the '89 XJ tranny even have OD?

And if that won't work, the 4.0L AND the AW4 should slide in and bolt right up into the ZJ, correct???
(Don't care about replacing the 318 w/ the 4.0L...just trying to get the vehicle running to sell it.)

You are willing to do all this work instead of fixing the dead tranny?:rolleyes:
I would fix the tranny. Just bolting the 4.0 in is not as easy as you seem to think. I am sorry, I cannot advise on the adaptability.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: mating an XJ AW4 to a ZJ 318...

gripguru said:

You are willing to do all this work instead of fixing the dead tranny?:rolleyes:
I would fix the tranny. Just bolting the 4.0 in is not as easy as you seem to think. I am sorry, I cannot advise on the adaptability.
remanned ZJ auto tranny costs way more than the entire XJ is worth. I was thinking since ZJ's came w/ the 4.0 as well as the 5.2 that a 4.0L from an XJ might bolt in. You consider things like this when you've got more time than money. :grinpimp:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts