Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard no chitchat about the poor man's Mossy 500, the Maverick 88. I'm also 95% noob when it comes to shotguns. Is the 88 a decent gun, build and reliability wise? I've flipped through a couple of threads on other forums, but I trust the guys here not to fanboy something - nor bash it because everyone else does.

Seriously considering picking one up and chopping it down to 18.5" length and loading her with 00 buck.

I keep putting off buying a shotty for home defense because I'm a handgun guy and that's where my gun budget tends to go. But if I can grab one of these for around $200... I see no reason not to do so.

If it's reliable, I will pick one up. Safety location doesn't matter much to me - either works, so that's a non factor vs the 500 . What say you all?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I have one,it works. I grabbed a $15 Mcarbo spring kit to fix the god awful trigger.

I've seen them from the factory with an 18" barrel, FYI.

·
Premium Member
17,873 Posts
The early ones aren't as strong as their Mossberg brethren. The early ones only have one transfer bar instead of Mossbergs two. The safety iis a little different. Other wise they're virtually identical.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Last spring I picked up one of the security models with the 18 1/2" factory barrels and it's been flawless. The trigger housing is plastic but hasn't been an issue and I preferred the traditional cross bolt safety to the Mossbergs tang safety. I picked it up just to have around when out camping and not have to worry about it getting beat up. I've run everything from #7.5 to slugs through it without any issues.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
They are just a more rough 500 basiclly. It will work for sure, but if you see a deal on an 870 or 500 I would go that route. My go to gun like this is an 18.5" 870 that I had threaded for chokes and added a magazine extender and side saddle shell holder.

Trigger guards have been plastic on mossberg for years. The newer stuff is just more noticeably plastic.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
FWIW on the cheap shotgun topic, I have an old beater H&R/NEF Pardner Pump, Chinese 870 knockoff. Paid $100 for it and have beaten this shit out of it riding in trucks and whatnot. Every shell I chamber goes bang and comes out. No issues.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
I own an 88, and two 500s. I choose to keep the Maverick 88 more handy than the 500 for one reason....

I like a pistol grip. Who doesn't? Everyone puts a pistol grip on a 500, right? The safety is in such the wrong place (tang, on top of receiver) on a 500 when there's a pistol grip installed. It's :homer: to try and use efficiently.

The M88 has the safety on the trigger guard = perfect for use with a pistol grip.

The 500s have the stock they were born with on them.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
FWIW on the cheap shotgun topic, I have an old beater H&R/NEF Pardner Pump, Chinese 870 knockoff. Paid $100 for it and have beaten this shit out of it riding in trucks and whatnot. Every shell I chamber goes bang and comes out. No issues.
I was going to mention the H&R pardner as well... Picked one up at wal-mart of all places for like $120 out the door.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I've heard no chitchat about the poor man's Mossy 500, the Maverick 88. I'm also 95% noob when it comes to shotguns. Is the 88 a decent gun, build and reliability wise? I've flipped through a couple of threads on other forums, but I trust the guys here not to fanboy something - nor bash it because everyone else does.

Seriously considering picking one up and chopping it down to 18.5" length and loading her with 00 buck.

I keep putting off buying a shotty for home defense because I'm a handgun guy and that's where my gun budget tends to go. But if I can grab one of these for around $200... I see no reason not to do so.

If it's reliable, I will pick one up. Safety location doesn't matter much to me - either works, so that's a non factor vs the 500 . What say you all?
Can I ask why you want a shotgun for HD, as opposed to using a handgun. Especially considering your skill level with a handgun. Just curious, not trying to be rude or anything.

·
Insurance poor
10,047 Posts

I bought one new back in '96ish???? I got the package deal with the 28" and 18.5" barrel, plus the shoulder stock and pistol grip. I think it was $200 at the time? :homer:

I still have it and couldn't even tell you how many 1000s of rounds I have put through it (skeet and bird hunting) or how many 100s of birds I have killed. I can tell you, I can count on one hand how many times it has failed to fire and I don't think those were the gun's fault. :smokin: Its my "don't worry about scratching it", let it tumble around in the back of the truck, throw down, its never going to fail me gun.

I picked up a second one used last year for the gf to shoot and so far, it has been just as reliable.

·
I'm not your buddeh
13,084 Posts
I have an 88 that I use for both HD 18" (barrel) and hunting. I bought a mossberg 500 28" vented rib barrel to hunt with. I have shot skeet as well. After the initial break-in time period, I would definitely trust my life with it.

4.5/5....would recommend.

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
don't buy the 18.5" barrel.
can't put an extended tube on it.
get 20" get extended tube, be happy.

at least that was my experience with the 18.5 500.
I should look into it again, I know that there's a short 590 now with a 7 shot tube.

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
i always find it curious and funny that people who buy shotguns for home defense (not saying that is what is happening here, since he's asking about a specific model in mind) will do their best to buy the cheapest pump action they can get their hands on. :laughing:

Not that the maverick 88 is a bad shotgun for the money, but if you're life is on the line, is it going to matter that you only spent $200 on a shotgun?

this is going to piss some motherfawkers off :blackflipy:

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
i always find it curious and funny that people who buy shotguns for home defense (not saying that is what is happening here, since he's asking about a specific model in mind) will do their best to buy the cheapest pump action they can get their hands on. :laughing:

Not that the maverick 88 is a bad shotgun for the money, but if you're life is on the line, is it going to matter that you only spent $200 on a shotgun?

this is going to piss some motherfawkers off :blackflipy:

Not that I really disagree with you but some folks can't afford to spend $1000+ on a nice shotgun. I'd rather spend a little money on a cheap gun than not have a gun at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
Not that I really disagree with you but some folks can't afford to spend $1000+ on a nice shotgun. I'd rather spend a little money on a cheap gun than not have a gun at all.
1) a grand plus isnt needed. there is a happy medium.

2) the OP (not picking on him but if im not mistaken) has a lot of money tied up into pistols and is a pretty badass competitive pistol shooter. so his knowledge may be limited on shotguns, but i dont think his actual finances are overall. maybe im wrong.

3) if its your only option, then by all means, get what you can get. but how many guys have safes filled with guns that are saying "i dont have the budget for a good self defense shotgun". to me, thats the part thats pretty funny.

·
I'm not your buddeh
13,084 Posts
1) a grand plus isnt needed. there is a happy medium.

2) the OP (not picking on him but if im not mistaken) has a lot of money tied up into pistols and is a pretty badass competitive pistol shooter. so his knowledge may be limited on shotguns, but i dont think his actual finances are overall. maybe im wrong.

3) if its your only option, then by all means, get what you can get. but how many guys have safes filled with guns that are saying "i dont have the budget for a good self defense shotgun". to me, thats the part thats pretty funny.
When I bought mine, I didnt have a need for a nice shotgun. The maverick 88 was 150 on sale so I jumped haha.

I would not drag that shotgun into a tactical profession but I would definitely feel comfortable using it (if thats all I had) as a home defense shotgun.

·
Premium Member
17,873 Posts
I have a VEPR 12 that I could use for HD, but I really just want simple and reliable in a HD gun. Especially if my wife or son needs to use it. I don't want them fumbling with a box fed, folding stocked semi auto. So the pump $200 shotgun it is.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts