Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started planning for this project exactly one year ago after following Tracy J. into a trail. Of course we didn’t follow for long; we never saw his rig after he entered the trail. But he was gracious to come back and spot for me and two other rigs. It was a great time and an eye opener on how heavy and awkward my rig was.

I sold that rig and started this one. I know some of you may question why I went with 4130 Chromoly with its potential of cracking in the H.A.Z. . . . But after talking to a friend who builds sprit cars I decided to go with the material for its strength in a lighter wall thickness. The main cage is built out of 1.500 X .095 wall; this yields a higher tinsel strength than mild-steel. Though I am still worried about denting it on the side rails, I am not sure how it will handle it. Guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

All the truss and support bars are 1.500 X .083 wall, with some others at 1.250 X .063. Yesterday my father and I lifted it off the table and set it on saw horses to start the suspension and finish the front hoops for the front shocks.

LS1 with LS6 cam, TH400, Atlas II
Ford D60, 14 Bolt, blah blah blah

Attachments

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Re: Chromoly Krawler

azmaverick said:
I sold that rig and started this one. I know some of you may question why I went with 4130 Chromoly with its potential of cracking in the H.A.Z. . . . But after talking to a friend who builds sprit cars I decided to go with the material for its strength in a lighter wall thickness. The main cage is built out of 1.500 X .095 wall; this yields a higher tinsel strength than mild-steel. Though I am still worried about denting it on the side rails, I am not sure how it will handle it. Guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

The side rails on mine are .42 thk, I have dented them slightly on my Samurai based buggy. I'd at least go .25 wall on the side rails, you will use them as pivot points on the tighter trails. Nice welds.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
using 4130 rod, all flat stock for gussets are mild steel. I used the mild steel 2X3 for the links points. I felt that the mild steel would be less likely to crack around the heat affected zone of the welds than if I used chromoly tubing.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Re: Re: Chromoly Krawler

Azrckcrawler said:

The side rails on mine are .42 thk, I have dented them slightly on my Samurai based buggy. I'd at least go .25 wall on the side rails, you will use them as pivot points on the tighter trails. Nice welds.
Has anyone tried capping their side rails with something harder? ...something as simple as 1/2 of a schedule 40 pipe tacked onto the outside of your siderail in places you expect contact.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Chromoly Krawler

Flipper said:

Has anyone tried capping their side rails with something harder? ...something as simple as 1/2 of a schedule 40 pipe tacked onto the outside of your siderail in places you expect contact.
This sounds like a good idea, especially if you plan on keeping the buggy for a while. Also, that thing looks and sounds to be super light:cool: , and...you sticked that?:eek: keep the pics coming

·
Registered
498 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Chromoly Krawler

Flipper said:

Jason Paule does something similar, he makes a little nerf outa 1" schedule 40. I just capped mine with 120.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
capping the rock rails sounds like a good idea. I wonder how much it will warp?

1 - 20 of 303 Posts