Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to put 37 MT/R 's on my FJ40 with stock front axle and a toyota mini truck axle in the real. I was just curious about what most people think is the max tire size to run on the toyota axles?

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
38's
or so..

It really depends on your driving..

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
add some Bobby Longs in front and fuhgeddaboudit....

38.5's on mine....not one rear problem, no Longfield breakages yet, but only 2 trips on them.

Also depends on horsepower, driving style, gearing, and 100's of other details.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I've been running 35s with stock mini truck birfs for a few years now, I've never broken a birf.

I know a few people who run 37 MTRs with Longfeilds.

My next set of tires will be 37s and I'll still be running stock birfs but I'm a little bit more conservative with the gas pedal and I run an ARB in the front.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
With the longfield heat treated inners and the Chromo rears you should be just fine.

What ratio in the mini rear?

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
IMHO the weak point will be the mini third

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Jason M said:
IMHO the weak point will be the mini third
Pinion problems possible.... They brake often even on locked mini's with 35's. Just be careful and use a quality ring and pinion set. There are alot of minis running 37's and 38's on toy axles...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I spent many a year in Colorado and still own a house in Penrose, (ie: have done Indy a few times)
All of the parts I broke on Indy, 4 birfs, 2 rear pinions, 1 front, 1 l/s inner axle and a BUNCH of other stuff, were all with 35's, either 35-16-15 Boggies or 35" BFG M/T's.
For about 10 trips through Indy I tried some used 38.5 SX's I had bought used, and found the trail a lot easier and I was actually alot easier on parts, (other than tie rod ends, tie rod, drag link, steering box etc.)
But that was only about 10 trips compared to a bunch on 35's.
I think cause I knew all the problem spots I had w/ 35's, I was more likely to use caution, and the 38's go over stuff rather than hanging up.
Just my $.02.
I sold my 39.5" Boggies and will get another set of 38.5 SX's before I go back to Colorado, hopefully soon.
Of course, by then I should have long since forgotten what a birfield was.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm running 37 MTR's with Longfields and have not had any problems.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I bunch of places have them for the mini rear. AP comes to mind first but I would look elsewhere first.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I don't know of anyone other than www.allprooffroad.com making ChroMo's for a mini axle. :confused:

I agree on the R&P issue, too. The AZ guys are mostly running a 22RE, 223:1, and 38.5s. The ring gears have been failing enough on them that a lot of them have dropped back to 4.10 to recoup some strength. Camo's broken a shitload of both 5.29s and 4.10s, but he's a different story from the rest of us. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts