Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
Well I've searched and have come up with a few specs but it hasn't answered my questions. Im doin a 96 chevy v6 swap in my carbed 84 4runner, and the Vortec v6 is rated at about 220 ft lbs. I already know my el crapo W52 tran is not going to be my choice, and I believe those early 4 or 5 speeds are only rated at 140 ft lbs.

I would like to keep 'a' toyota tranny in there if there is one that is strong enough. Probably the R150 or R151 being the stongest, and Im not going to be beatin on it, but rock crawling with dual cases is going to apply more torque than I will do on the road.

Anyone know what the R series trannies are "rated" at? Or has anyone broken one of these trannies with or without an engine swap? Or does anyone know the specs on "all" toyota trannies? And comarable Chevy trannies too? Or has anyone broken one of these trannies with or without an engine swap?

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Didnt the R150/151 come behind V6's too? In any case; Id guess no more than 200. Which explains how people can give them hell w/ a 4.3

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
There was a similar post to this recently that can be found here. The R150 is still used behind the 3.4L in Tacomas and lives up to supercharged power without too many problems.

Vova is running a R151F behind his 4.3L and has not had any problems. I am not anticipating any issues with this transmission behind my warmed up turbo motor and Randii is planning on using one behind a 5.0L. Several Amigo guys are running these transmissions also, and the 3.2L motor makes 215 ft-lbs stock.

As for the dual cases, that torque multipication occurs after the transmission so it should not affect it nearly as much as the engine torque.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, and yeah I guess Vova is running the R151 behind his, (thanks Vova!).
But does anyone know what the R150 or R151 are actually rated at, or where i could go to find out? I guess Toyota?

Im just wondering if there is a huge difference between the 150 and 151, (is the 151 that much stronger?), and if either of them meet/exceed the 220 ft lbs of torque of the Vortec?

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Also JFYI, the R150 is the same basic tranny used behind the jeep sixes from 1990 to 99. The 4.0 runs about 220 lbs/ft. I had the aisin tranny behind my 4.2 and pulled trailers and wheeled it everywhere and never had a problem. I now run a v6 toy with the R150 and again I've not had any problems. I would say the either of the R's should easily handle the 4.3. I just had a thought, isn't the R series used behind the turbo supra's? I could be wrong on that one, but the supra guys force some serious power through those trannies.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If you are not beating the tranny, your W58 might hold up well.

I ran 350+ ft/lb of torque through one, giving it hell dailly, and it lasted me through the hammers, and 3 months of street driving.

I have run 400+ ft/lbs of torque through the R151F with no problems, so yes, the R series will hold up quite well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.