Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much misalignment the factory ball joint on the Defender pitman offers? I'm running a 14" strut in the front of the truck with around 8" of droop, and after cycling the suspension I now have a completely clapped out ball joint and sloppy steering. I'm trying to figure out whether it was a fluke or if the joint reached its mechanical limit. Unfortunately I'm on the road for the next few days so I can't test any theories myself.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know if the thread pitch differs between the Defender rod end and the standard TRE's? I want to say it's different but can't recall. Need to know if I have to swap drag links as well.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Disco draglink tube is a bit longer, with the same thread 11/16-16
Thay have the same distance from eye to eye, but the defender rod end eye is longer than a regular TRE

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, got it sorted! Swapped over to a Disco setup and seem to have enough misalignment to handle 8" of downward travel. No issues thus far.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I bent a couple tie rods with my Deefer setup and 3 inch lifted suspension put the disco setup on there and no further problems. when I went back to stock suspension I put a HD deefer tie rod and it works fine. something about that stupid rod-end eye never made me confident.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts