Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.... a few years ago i broke a stock birfield, and the whole damn wheel cam loose....i could wigle it all around and i couldn't drive down the street.

2 days a go, i heard a snap, and it seemed as though the wheel wasn't getting any turning action. Put it in 2WD and drove it 15 miles home at 75 mph no problem. Put it in 4wd again and the wheel kept binding and locking up. Put it in 2WD and from then on i can only turn left 50% of t he time. Figured if it was a birfield it would have done the same thing as a few years ago, and the whole thing would have been leaking profusely and wobbling. It is tight as....well its tight. Is this still probably a birf? I will tear it apart in the next few days, but just wondering what to suspect. I thought maybe i snapped a hub tooth or something weird and it floated around and was binding up, but that seems hard to believe.

Anyone have any cheap birfs if that is the case?

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
You didn't break a hub. When hubs break, it is either the dial/cap that breaks, or else the inside of the brass ring gets reamed out. Seldom will you actually break the sliding ring, or housing. I've never actually heard of someone breaking a hub from pure impact. It is probably bits of birf. wandering around in your knuckle and trunnion bearings.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
:shaking: Just take it apart before you hurt someone on the road when you steering binds from the broken parts floating around in there..............

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
4RnrRick said:
:shaking: Just take it apart before you hurt someone on the road when you steering binds from the broken parts floating around in there..............
bingo,i have drove off the trail and back to the trailer with a broke birf and limited steering.but if it is broke and still steering it could get a piece jammed and stop you steering any moment...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GRMhick said:
Is it really that hard for you to just rip the sucker apart?
No, it isn't, i just haven't had any time the last few days. I sid in the first oint that i was going to tear it apart, i was just wondering if that was most likely the problem. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Yes, that is probably the problem and I hope your not driving the vehicle!

When I birf goes about 50% of the time it binds the steering and you can't steer from lock to lock any more because the shell of the birf has exploded and binds up inside the knuckle. My first birf I did just like you did and it got me home but then after I torn it apart I realized how lucky I was that it didn't bind my steering. my second birf that I blew it locked the steering wheel and I had to take it apart on the spot.

So like I said, PLEASE don't drive the vehicle until you remove the broken parts!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I dont think your wheel should get loose from breaking a birfield unless it seriously fawks the trunion bearings. The broken pieces shouldn't make it out to the wheel bearings unless it is a stub shaft. Still seems a little unlikely. Always best to tear it down on the spot. Especially if its got to be driven 75 for a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts