Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a madza leaf pack for the rear of my toyota 4 runner. I was just wanting to know how hard it is and what kind of job i'm looking at getting into. I would like to know how many leaf packs I will need, if I can just take them off a junk madza, where to get new hangers, and the best way to mount everything. Thanks for everything and I know i'm a NEWBE:confused: :)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Im running a 5 band mazda/toyota hybrid. main and second band mazada and 2 bands from a toy rear cut to fit, and a procomp add a leaf.i paln on adding a anti rap band to the top of the pack.. i made my own and moved and placed them just infront of the stock spring hanger....Junks yard springs are great just make shure they arnt all rusted out

·
Registered
400 Posts
I ran those on a previous truck, I wasn't entirely impressed. It worked better than stock, but still not great. They bent backwards a little too much and I was always worried they would break.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
PoopHead said:
I ran those on a previous truck, I wasn't entirely impressed. It worked better than stock, but still not great. They bent backwards a little too much and I was always worried they would break.
Jay AKA Roktoy has ran them and beat the crap out of them for a long time and just recently he broke a leaf. Search and you'll figure out more, there is a thread where him and I talked about it.....

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I bought 4 packs.
Each pack is 3 leafs + overload.

My leaf packs are now 5 leafs:
1. Main with eyes
2. Main w/out eyes
3. 2nd leaf uncut
4. 3rd leaf uncut
5. 3rd leaf cut

This setup will start with a tiny bit of droop. But, after you sag them a bit the droop is good...I'm at about 50/50 right now.

Build a traction bar!!!

You can use the Mazda u-bolts and spring plates to do a shackle flip.

If you SEARCH, you will find alot of info from 4RnrRick :flipoff2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
you think you could put them on the front because i have the rears up front and i bet it would give you a lot more flex

·
Registered
477 Posts
Look into the 63" Chevy half ton. There is a Q/A on Pirate about this. My buddy did the mazda, and was super unhappy, it was soft, but it would wrap up something fierce. I just did the Chevy in the rear of my runner, and no wrapin what so ever, and its super plush on the road! Best of both worlds for cheap.

The 63" spring is really heavy, just when you thought average springs weighed alot!:D

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
SR5Dave said:

Jay AKA Roktoy has ran them and beat the crap out of them for a long time and just recently he broke a leaf. Search and you'll figure out more, there is a thread where him and I talked about it.....
Actually I broke a front Datsun hybrid. I have not yet broken a Mazda pack.

I was the one that came up with this swap in 1996.......

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/sprg.html

http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk3/toyota/mazda.htm

I am still running those original packs.

Jay

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
84runner said:
Look into the 63" Chevy half ton. There is a Q/A on Pirate about this. My buddy did the mazda, and was super unhappy, it was soft, but it would wrap up something fierce.
Did he run a track bar?
Jay

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I ran mazda springs 47"? (same length as a stock hilux rear) springs in the back of my 4 runner with 2" blocks and no wrap bar

wrap bar would have helped, as after about 6 months i had flattened the front half of the spring a tad

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
I have ran my for about 2years now, still on the orginal pack, and they are almost flat. I run no bumb stops, so these things flex backwards all the time. I have yet to brake one. And they flex great. here are some pics of them flexing. this pack was made using only one set of mazda springs and my stock springs. also, i do not run a track bar. more pics are at www.camotoy.com
Shane

·
Registered
477 Posts
ROKTOY said:

Did he run a track bar?
Jay
Negative. Which was the most likely reason for the axle wrap. That's a big reason I went with the Chevy's, because I wouldn't have to fab a trac bar...

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts