Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
It had three buttons for front, middle, and rear - lockers?

Control arms and axles seemed kind of wimpy, is that an issue for such a heavy vehicle?
Stock lockers are decent. Axles are at least half decent. Used in trials rigs as well as some Formula Offroad rigs over here.
Not much aftermarket support though and parts are asspensive.

For a white privilege mall crawler with shitty gas mileage.. sure, why not :flipoff2:

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
I've never heard a bad word about them, window regulators etc... sounds like pretty typical 20 year old car shit to me. Nice thing about a Benz is parts are easy to come by and the higher end MB is usually dealer serviced and fixed when it breaks at least till it gets to the 3rd-4th owner.
You can get most parts for most Mercedes at Rock Auto.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Paying that much cash at once is not my cup of tea. Cash reserves (not that I have that much) are good, and so is your credit. You got your ways, I got mine, which have been working for me. Dont want to spin this off into a finance thread, but you have to use it to build it, and building mine has proved very useful
If whatever you are buying was worth it, you would be okay paying cash.

Credit score= finance companies make money

What a great PR racket, convince people they need to spend more so they feel privileged to spend more.

·
Premium Member
29,420 Posts
I had good luck getting parts for my ~30 year old MB from the dealership. wait time was whatever is was going to be, but damn if it is nice to actually have MFG support for older vehicles.

financing one that is a decade + old, from any angle, is stupid.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
G wagon is on the list of shit to own. Luxury suv with solid axles and a v8, sign me up.

financing one that is a decade + old, from any angle, is stupid.
Let's derail this shit, I will 100% disagree.

Your only daily driver and mechanically inept? Sure, you may run into some issues. People also think vehicles arent an investment and a liability.

Before I had the capital built up, I would finance trucks to flip. But I also have a good relationship with my local bank and they would give me the cash to go buy it, then I would give them the title to hold. Fix, drive for however long, sell for $5k profit. So I lost a few hundred in interest, but I made up for it on the backside.

·
Premium Member
29,420 Posts
G wagon is on the list of shit to own. Luxury suv with solid axles and a v8, sign me up.

Let's derail this shit, I will 100% disagree.

Your only daily driver and mechanically inept? Sure, you may run into some issues. People also think vehicles arent an investment and a liability.

Before I had the capital built up, I would finance trucks to flip. But I also have a good relationship with my local bank and they would give me the cash to go buy it, then I would give them the title to hold. Fix, drive for however long, sell for $5k profit. So I lost a few hundred in interest, but I made up for it on the backside.
mechanically inept and your only daily drive, a $20k G-wagon with a decade or two of use is a shit option if you are the type that needs to finance :flipoff2:

There is no way in hell you are buying a $20k 10-20 year old G-wagon to fix/flip with enough headroom to justify financing it. you surely aren't going to be able to fix it and profit $5k on the thing

I would also like to have a Gwagon, I think they are cool as balls. If I were looking to drop $20k on a car, they are absolutely on the list of things to consider. Hell, i'd buy a 30 year old one without issue. finance it though? no fucking way. this isn't some 0 or 1% apr dealer loan, and it certainly isn't going to be cheap to operate compared to any other vehicle of similar price.

I guess if you are so confident that you can reliably earn significantly more on your money somewhere else for the duration of the loan, but at that point, why even bring it up :rasta:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Looked at G Wagons before buying the Cayenne for my wife

Best I found was 80K about 15 years old, low $30's. If he had been willing to go to $29K I likely would have bought

Window regulators, rust, sun roofs, as mentioned
Also check the axle seals, like to leak, and expensive to fix at a dealer. Few hours work if you DIY, but I would then consider tie rod ends etc

Love my almost 20 year old CLK 430, sure like any old car it needs parts now and then, but they are easy to work on, and parts can be had online pretty cheap

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
mechanically inept and your only daily drive, a $20k G-wagon with a decade or two of use is a shit option if you are the type that needs to finance :flipoff2:

There is no way in hell you are buying a $20k 10-20 year old G-wagon to fix/flip with enough headroom to justify financing it. you surely aren't going to be able to fix it and profit $5k on the thing
I'm not up to date on G wagon values and demand in southern California, but anything is possible. I've picked up some vehicles cheap because the some old person listed it in the thrifty nickel, and knows fuck all what's it's worth. Or old folks die and their retarded kids get the vehicle and want quick cash.

Old people love keeping luxury cars for 15 years and not driving them. Theres a local 55+ retirement community (basically it's own town with 13k-ish people) that's a gold mine for clean decade+ old mercedes :flipoff2: when its 100k new, buying for 20k and selling for 30k isnt out of line.

·
Premium Member
29,420 Posts
I'm not up to date on G wagon values and demand in southern California, but anything is possible. I've picked up some vehicles cheap because the some old person listed it in the thrifty nickel, and knows fuck all what's it's worth. Or old folks die and their retarded kids get the vehicle and want quick cash.

Old people love keeping luxury cars for 15 years and not driving them. Theres a local 55+ retirement community (basically it's own town with 13k-ish people) that's a gold mine for clean decade+ old mercedes :flipoff2: when its 100k new, buying for 20k and selling for 30k isnt out of line.
in 20 years, i'll buy one from you then :beer:

I guess I don't know about So Cal values either, but $30k for one that old with 150k seems odd.

old people, :laughing: my grandma has a MINT 1998 Honda prelude. she is in her late 80's now and is finally at a stage in life that a 2 door sporty car is no longer appealing :rasta: I don't have a place to keep it or a use for it, but i'm just hoping I can keep her from giving it away :laughing:

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
old people, :laughing: my grandma has a MINT 1998 Honda prelude. she is in her late 80's now and is finally at a stage in life that a 2 door sporty car is no longer appealing :rasta: I don't have a place to keep it or a use for it, but i'm just hoping I can keep her from giving it away :laughing:
Happened to my uncle. Had a cherry 2002 cummins 2wd with 100k. In his 80s and basically just drove it to the local place for morning coffee. He sold it to some coffee bullshitters kid for $3000. The ENTIRE family was pissed at him. That was the point he was no longer allowed/in charge of his own finances.

It would have been fine if he was a good kid. But it immediately got douche wheels and a trash can. I shoot the finger every time I see the truck.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Credit score= finance companies make money

What a great PR racket, convince people they need to spend more so they feel privileged to spend more.
Its called leverage. I used my credit cards to buy equipment and start a business - 0% apr for 12-18 months, better than a small business loan thats impossible to get here even with a high apr. Nothing to do with privilege, I DD a 20 year old dakota with an unpainted hood and non existent clear coat - privileged I am not.

Value has nothing to do with year. Something thats 20 years old may hold its price (and will) much better than new. You finance a 2020 vehicle and in 4 years after you are done paying its worth half, and my g wagon will be worth every penny that I paid for it.

Dont be afraid of credit

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
No, you can't.
Bullshit. I've looked for friends that were having a hard time getting parts at auto parts stores and everything they needed was at Rock Auto.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts