Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking about using mechanical fuel injection,a Hilborn unit on the YJ I am building.I use them on my racecar(sprint car) and they are easy to work with and there is no wiring bullshit to deal with.I have never used them with gasoline,sprints run methane.I would just use smaller size nozzles and different jets in the bypass.Have any of you tried this type of injection for your rock rig?I searched around and found nothing on these units.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
i have been thinking about adapting a mech injection setup from a volkswagen to my land rover, still figuring out the logistics of it though.

go for it

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You must be the ONLY guy I've EVER heard call mechanical gasoline injection troublefree. Everyone I've ever seen that ran one was tinkering with it constantly.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
That Mick said:
You must be the ONLY guy I've EVER heard call mechanical gasoline injection troublefree. Everyone I've ever seen that ran one was tinkering with it constantly.

About 15 years ago a buddy of mine built a 63 Vette for the dragstrip, after the fist season he bought a used mechanical fuel injection unit. Between his initial outlay for the unit and what he spent going through it he had about $1500 invested.
Ran the thing one day, came home and pulled it all of and went back to a Predator. He said the damn thing worked great when it worked but it was too inconsistant, his ET's were all over the place even when he didn't adjust it.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Isn't the wiring bullshit the bit that makes fuel injection the great thing it is, otherwise, without electrical sensors, aren't you tinkering with it just like a carb?

I dunno - GM/Rochester TBI is pretty simple and hella-reliable.

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Throttle control is not real good with mechanical injection. Think of the guys that run it (Sprints and Drag cars) and think of how much throttle control they require and home many throttle positions they run in. You can more or less forget about have a motor that will idle. I've messed with a few different models but mainly Enderle. For a mud truck... sure it would work but for a rock crawler, no way.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You do gain the high angle stability, but it's not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My sprintcar does idle,a very ruff idle but it does idle.If it had a mellow cam in it it would idle all day if need be.Throttle response is adjusted by the amount of travel between the throttle pedal and throttle linkage,easily done.Sprint cars have great throttle response...they have to.I am looking at buying an old 410 sprint motor.I am thinkng I will take some compression out of it and switch the injection to gasoline and run it.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Drifting away to thoughts long ago..................K-Jetronics.......mechanical airflow sensors...........cold start injectors.......

Mechanical injection........better than a carb, but no where near the class of electronic injection. I'd go electronic injection if I were you. Trying to get mechanical injection set up and running right might cause a need for this link:

http://www.lobotomy.info/

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
magoo117 said:
My sprintcar does idle,a very ruff idle but it does idle.If it had a mellow cam in it it would idle all day if need be.Throttle response is adjusted by the amount of travel between the throttle pedal and throttle linkage,easily done.Sprint cars have great throttle response...they have to.I am looking at buying an old 410 sprint motor.I am thinkng I will take some compression out of it and switch the injection to gasoline and run it.

Throttle response yes... they do have great throttle response but there is a difference between response and control. Personaly I don't believe that it will have the throttle control necessary to use as a rock crawler. I agree that you can get it to idle but I promise that you will have problems with it loading up if you let it idle for any length of time.

Sounds like you have made up your mind regardless of what we say so I say do it and prove me wrong.

once again... good luck.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've run it on a mud drag ride I used to have, I personally don't think that it would be the way to go for a rockcrawler or woods ride. Go the tbi route the wiring and other stuff isn't as bad as most people think. Look at the diy-efi.org site for wiring info on the tbi swaps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts