Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had two fail on my 4.0 (stroked to 4.6) in the last year. They replaced the original which was going strong at 135,000.
the first failed at ~700 miles and the second failed at ~1,500. both cracked/split right at the fork in the drive shaft. I pre-laoded them with bearing guard and ran Rottella T 15w-40 during the break in and never turned more than 4,500 rpm. I down-graded to the regular heavy duty Mellings pump and it's still holding together at ~4,000 miles.
Anyone have similar issues?
Or have a better HV pump I can try?

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/aaronsbarker/Jeeping/

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
HMM that shaft should be made out of A-1 tool steel....I wonder if they are going chinee on us and casting the whole works to save a dollar.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should be good steel. My family has been doing rebuilds on engines from snowmobiles to 16v-92 Detroits since 1970 and we've never seen this kind of failure. We've always been happy with Mellings. But this raised some eyebrows and may point to a bigger issue.
First one snapped the drive fork or ear clean off at the base. the second cracked vertically at the base of the folk but never came apart.
The distributor walk was caused by only one side making contact

1 - 3 of 3 Posts