Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone knew if a C6 tranny fits the Mercruiser 3,7 litre 190hp aluminium 4 sylindre engine?
I thougt if I rip of all the marine parts and put on a Ford V8 alu head it would be a ligthweigth engine with good torque for my crawler.
Has anyone of you tryed this combination?

·
Banned
7,672 Posts
Is that the aluminum block/cast head motor that has a ford 460 head on it?

If so I doubt it shares anything with a car engine, but who knows.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that the aluminum block/cast head motor that has a ford 460 head on it?
If so I doubt it shares anything with a car engine, but who knows.
Yea, thats rigth it has Ford 460 head, and since Mercruiser use Ford and Chevy engines on their sterndrives it would be strange if they use something else than one of those boltpatterns on the flywheel housing?
And since they already use Ford parts in it..

I found a pic that shows the flywheel housing from the Merc 190.

Does it look like a Ford pattern?

·
Registered
838 Posts
COOL IDEA! There are lots of neat marine engines out there. I'm not sure but I seem to remember something about marine engines spinning backwards and that this can be corrected (in some cases) by swapping in an automotive cam.

I may be talking out my a$$ though. I am sure someone will either confirm or flame.

C

·
that guy
2,609 Posts
That engine is a mercruiser hybrid I just rebuilt one about a month ago the bellhousing is a standard chevy bolt pattern its just missing the triangle on the top. but i also think you may have problems in the starter area with a chevy tranny.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Not fully sure if a cam would do it but I'm sure you'd need a new starter too to spin the motor the proper way.

But it sounds like a really cool idea as you'd have a small and light motor. Which we know is always goood right. :)
Phil

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I use a Volvo 2,3 litre engine with camshaft and head from the marine edition.
Works great in crawling because a marine engine must have good low end torque to push the boat out of the hole.
But my 37" MT/R's needs more power when we race in sand and V8 is not an option anymore.

The Volvo

·
Registered
33 Posts
BigManBrock07 said:
Not fully sure if a cam would do it but I'm sure you'd need a new starter too to spin the motor the proper way.
I thought most marine engines were available in both clockwise and
counter-clockwise? When you have a twin screw boat you use one of each
and each has a corresponding propeller (or screw :D ). This way you avoid
the situation where the prop pushes the back of the boat to one side
because of the angle on the prop. I think it's called walking.

Anyway if it is a "wrong way" engine, I think you'd be looking at a new cam,
starter, water pump and distributor. The "wrong way" distributor would make
it's vaccum and centrifugal advances into retards :) .

Is this engine half of a Ford 460 or half of a Chev 454? This sounds like a
great idea a quick punch in on Dyno2000 gives a very mild build at over 225hp
and over 260ft/lbs. What would something like this weigh?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I dug up my '87 Ford SVO catalog that lists this block for sale. It says the bare block is 75 pounds. Its an aluminum die casting with iron sleeves. It uses 460 heads and connecting rods, bore is 4.36", same as 460, displacement is 224 CI.

·
Registered
270 Posts
it would be light, but your gonna have some other issues too. the motor mount for that motor was on the front of the engine. i cant remember if the sides of the block accepted regular motor mounts. also, you might wanna find a new balancer for that thing. if one is made that is. i havent seen one of those things yet that didnt vibrate like crazy.
you'll wanna get a regular alt for it. it came from mercruzer with a stator under the balancer like an outboard does.
thats all i can think of, been a while since i have seen one of those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts