Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Almost a bolt-in for my GM 12si... had to trim down the lower (thick) mount a little to fit in where the 12si was, and bend the upper adjusting bracket a bit... wired it up with 4 gauge, and let 'er rip.. didn't even change the pulley!

Mine came from a XR4Ti, and has a sticker from Bosch on the case which said 90 amps... which is a STRONG 90 amps.

With a low battery (been sitting for 3 weeks), I cranked the motor, and turned on 4 rock lights, 2 100 watt lights, my headlights on high beam, and the heater fan on high. 1100rpm was all that was needed to bring the voltage to a little over 14...

Thanks to those who helped me with my questions about this...it's worth it!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Damn from the front that looks like a Delco!
Isn't the XR4Ti a Mercur?

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ForestCam said:
Damn from the front that looks like a Delco!
Isn't the XR4Ti a Mercur?
Yup, hence the subject of the post: MERKUR alternator swap.. :flipoff2:

It sure does look like a delco, doesn't it? :D

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Eskimo said:

Yup, hence the subject of the post: MERKUR alternator swap.. :flipoff2:

It sure does look like a delco, doesn't it? :D

Duh!:laughing:
My brother used to have one back in the 80's. Too bad I've never seen one in the junk yard.:(

·
Registered
167 Posts
Most VWs (as well as other German cars) use a 90 amp Bosch very similar to that.... Golfs and Jettas with AC from 85 - to roughly 92. If I remember correctly, Bosch rates their alternators hot, which is why yours seems so strong.... many companies rate em' cold, which you does you no good when everything is up to operating temps.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
nice. i haven't seen one of those ford pos's in a long time.:D how much did the alternator cost?

i used 2 gauge with my chevy one wire swap 80 amps. i bought a new rebuilt unit from alternator starter express for $35 and a life time warrenty free replacement. i had to fab up some brakets to make it fit in my yota.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
BAJowett said:
Most VWs (as well as other German cars) use a 90 amp Bosch very similar to that.... Golfs and Jettas with AC from 85 - to roughly 92.

The Bosh in my wife's '92 Passat looks nothing like that one.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
r-sparky-h said:
nice. i haven't seen one of those ford pos's in a long time.:D how much did the alternator cost?

i used 2 gauge with my chevy one wire swap 80 amps.
Cost was $35 from the boneyard, plus $1 worth of degreaser. :p

Using 2 gauge really is overkill... The 4 gauge is rated to 150amps continuous, up to a 5 foot run. I had 8 on there before, which is rated 75 amps, so I wanted this to be able to handle a bit more, and I had it laying around... I guess that was your deal with the 2!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
when the alternator dies i will rebuild it to run 140 amps. buy that time i should have a winch. i think my 2 ga. wire is about two feet. and i got it really cheap from the auto store, $1:D

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
r-sparky-h said:
when the alternator dies i will rebuild it to run 140 amps.
I wouldn't re-wire it for higher amperage... then it won't charge worth a fawk at idle, when you're winching. Been there, seen that.

Just get a more powerful stock one.

So if Bosch rates their output hot, this sucker really does put out around 110+ amps when cold.. sweet.. 90 amps when hot is what counts anyway... Hell 90 amps hot sure beats my old 63 amp 12si... probably 40-50 amps when hot.

Did I mention ROCK solid voltage? It doesn't spike up high like the Delco when you first start it, either.. must be the Delta config.

·
Registered
167 Posts
ForestCam said:

The Bosh in my wife's '92 Passat looks nothing like that one.
Does it have the twin internal fan unit? If so, then you are correct, it looks nothing like it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Eskimo said:

Just get a more powerful stock one.

So if Bosch rates their output hot, this sucker really does put out around 110+ amps when cold.. sweet.. 90 amps when hot is what counts anyway... Hell 90 amps hot sure beats my old 63 amp 12si... probably 40-50 amps when hot.

Did I mention ROCK solid voltage? It doesn't spike up high like the Delco when you first start it, either.. must be the Delta config.
Bosch makes alternators with a 140 amp capacity for an early 90's 5 series BMW. Many 92-ISH and up VWs have a 120. Again, rated hot. They are both twin internal fan units, and the 140 unit has an intake duct that accepts a hose so you can direct fresh clean air onto the brush/regulator area. Pics on request.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My 85 Volkswagen GTI had a 90 amp, thats what the window sticker said. Boy do i miss 3wheelin in that car. BTW i have a 130 amp Alterstart in my 4Runner. I wonder if i should change the wire gauge. Also the Alterstart's dont put out much juice at idle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts