Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father in law is a 90yr old veteran and has been staying with us for the last 9 months. His dementia has gotten much worse over the last few weeks so we had to make the tough decision to take him to the VA in Togus. He's been there 2 days.

Well I kept seeing this other veteran in the hallway and talking with him. One of the guys on the staff told me I ought to google him, so I did and was amazed at what this guy has done.

https://www.mgi-military.com/index.php?id=29

He kept coming up to me and telling me that all he wanted was a good steak and a cold beer. I'd love to sneak that in for him, but know how much trouble I could get him in. Unfortunately, Mack's mind is such that he doesn't even remember any of the incredible things he has accomplished. I was honored to meet him.

·
Premium Member
10,667 Posts
What trouble ? He's friggin old, a vet and he can have any friggin thing he wants. I'd be bringing him a steak and a beer. He deserves it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I know, couldn't agree more. There's a guy on the staff I talked to about it and he wants to do it too. I'm going to try to figure out something.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I'd cook and cut up a steak for that gentleman before it's too late and there's nothing wrong with a small glass of beer. You could bring him a pony bottle of Little Kings.
I'd say he earned his steak and a beer.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
He kept coming up to me and telling me that all he wanted was a good steak and a cold beer. I'd love to sneak that in for him, but know how much trouble I could get him in. Unfortunately, Mack's mind is such that he doesn't even remember any of the incredible things he has accomplished. I was honored to meet him.
At his age it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He certainly has. I think he had 9 patents. Good guy too. Even an Odoulles in a frosty mug would make his day.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a rotation through a VA nursing home a while ago, and the residents could have two beers a day as long as their Dr says it's fine. As much as you would like to give him a nice cold beer it might screw with his medications to much.
Yeah, that's my concern. I don't want to do more damage than good, but I think the staff member can check for me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The VA center here had a list of approved people taped to the side of the beer fridge. It may be different there.
Well the staff guy is a vet too, and he said I'd have to talk with the director or whatever his title is, so it's sounds like the policy here is no alcohol. But I'm going to check it out further.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts