Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drained my tranny last night and there was a good amount of small metal shavings on the drain plug. There was maybe enough to fill 1/4-1/2 of a tea spoon. is this excessive? does it hint at the condition of my tranny at all?

The t-case had a little less than half as much metal on the drain plug.

The fluid was last changed about 2 years ago, and probably has about 20K on it(asuming it was changed when the clutch was last replaced). The fluid was golden brown in color.

The tranny/t-case have 215K on them.

Thanks.

BTW: any tips on getting that tranny out? some of the bolts seem realy hard to reach.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sounds normal to me. So long as they are all very small. At 215k miles I'd expect at least that. I wouldn't count on the oil having been changed with a clutch replacement. Those bolts on top of the tranny? You have to remove the t-case x-member to get the tranny out. Lower the rear of the tranny after removing the x-member and use a 20" to 24" long 1/2" drive extension to get on those two bolts up top (you may need a wobblel too). An air gun makes it a bit easier, but don't use several short extensions or you'll have too many joints and the air gun won't be able to bust the bolts loose.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's good to know my tranny is ok. How many miles are these toyota tranny's good for?

I didn't think of using a big long extension. I have to stop by Sears and pick one up.

How far can I safely lower the tranny? I lowered it a few inches to get the t-case off last night with out a problem.

I don't care about the motor mounts (they are being replaced) I just don't want to break any wires, or damage any hoses.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Small amounts OK. Comes from that "grind a few pounds for me" shifting. As far as the upper bolts on the tranny, one old trick is to drill two holes in the fire wall in line with the bolts and big enough to get a socket through. Make the holes big enough that you can put a rubber grommet plug in there after your done to seal it up. Never tried it on a toy, but you might be able to do the same thing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the tranny out last night!

I went down to sears and picked up a 20 inch socket extension.

It proved esential to getting the top tranny bolts out.

The motor is comming out next! I'll start on that tonight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts