Pirate 4x4 banner

781 - 800 of 837 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
That sucks about your car Adam. Any thoughts about getting your own shop yet? Just curious about what other people would do, since I’m getting ready to build a new shop once the weather breaks in the spring. Like to get ideas from other shop builds

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #783 (Edited)
That sucks about your car Adam. Any thoughts about getting your own shop yet? Just curious about what other people would do, since I’m getting ready to build a new shop once the weather breaks in the spring. Like to get ideas from other shop builds
Brett asked why I didn't just run conduit instead of the 220 extension chord for the press brake, so I don't think im in a rush to get out anytime soon. So im gonna ride it out as long as he allows it. Just paying him electric and heat has been the biggest blessing helping my overhead costs stay low so I can keep dumping cash into tools.

2019 I want small milling and Lathe capabilities (picked up a small benchtop Atlas 618 lathe that my dads going through in his spare time to clean up and get in top shape) and then more pallet racks and organize the shit out of the place and then just crank out work all year and see where it takes me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Brett asked why I didn't just run conduit instead of the 220 extension chord for the press brake, so I don't think im in a rush to get out anytime soon. So im gonna ride it out as long as he allows it. Just paying him electric and heat has been the biggest blessing helping my overhead costs stay low so I can keep dumping cash into tools.

2019 I want small milling and Lathe capabilities (picked up a small benchtop Atlas 618 lathe that my dads going through in his spare time to clean up and get in top shape) and then more pallet racks and organize the shit out of the place and then just crank out work all year and see where it takes me.
Gotcha. Maybe I worded that wrong. Was just curious what kind of shop you would build if you were building one

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #785
Gotcha. Maybe I worded that wrong. Was just curious what kind of shop you would build if you were building one
Ahh sorry.

Im happy with the size of this shop. Roughly 40x60 with14' ceilings. Just sucks to have to heat all that air...

I would put in a loft going the long ways over half of it, and be able to store supplies or maybe even be able to put a few work stations up top or office etc. But still be able to put a full size vehicle project under the loft.

Then id have a lift somewhere in the drive through portion probably.

60x60 with like 2 full walls of pallet rack, and put machines and tools along the wall or under the pallet racks like I have currently, one full wall for tube and lengths of material, and then have a full open 40x60 work area would be pretty pimp.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
But my new buddy Dee Jackson that lives in Muskegon Heights, found my Burton bag with all my shit out in a snow drift and tracked me down by the airport tags via Facebook. Really cool dude that's sick of all the crime in the Heights. I told him you know that's like $1500 in gear right, and he said yeah I figured a couple grand, but im sick of all the hate over here, and that was freaking awesome. :)

So kind of a bitchin end to a shitty week.
Cool story.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
A small mill is infinitely better than no mill but you'd to well to just go to a big fucking mill on day 1 IMO. That's what I wish I had done.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #788 (Edited)
A small mill is infinitely better than no mill but you'd to well to just go to a big fucking mill on day 1 IMO. That's what I wish I had done.
Trouble with the old stuff is finding it in single phase, and actually getting something that doesn't need to be all rebuilt... Also I just plain don't have the floor space for big stuff. (not my shop so if he says no more big machines, that means no more big machines).

$2000 brand new, and it has a adjustable speed motorized cross feed opn the x axis. I think that's a pretty good looking machine (and have talked to the owner of a machine shop that has used one and said he was really impressed with it for the price), and I wont have to buy it and dick with it. Just turn it on and make money.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Mill-Drill-with-Stand-8-x-29-Table-with-Powerfeed/G0760

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
$2000 brand new, and it has a adjustable speed motorized cross feed opn the x axis. I think that's a pretty good looking machine (and have talked to the owner of a machine shop that has used one and said he was really impressed with it for the price), and I wont have to buy it and dick with it. Just turn it on and make money.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Mill-Drill-with-Stand-8-x-29-Table-with-Powerfeed/G0760
Those are nice machines for what they are but for $2000 you can buy some really big old iron if you're patient. It's nice having a turnkey machine but in our hobby you really need a large machine in order to fuck around with all the various castings that vehicles use. Yes you can do a lot with angle grinders, hand drills and whatnot but if you're gonna buy a mill you want something that can easily work with the medium and larger assemblies that go into vehicles. It's a bitch to always be working near the limits of the machine. Buy something you'll grow into, not out of.

The small mill will be super useful but you'll find yourself wanting more very soon.

Dont let 3 phase limit you. VFDs can be had for cheap and easy to implement.
Not to mention that 220v motors 5hp and under are pretty easy to find.

VFDs have come down enough in price in the last 5yr that I wouldn't even bother trying to source a 220v motor though.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
While that machine looks pretty nice, I bought my Bridgeport for less than that. I'm over that by the time you add in tooling and readout. I have one phase converter for both the mill and lathe. (Can only run one at a time)

Why no big machines? You should have a big lathe bolted down and leveled, but I don't have the lathe or mill bolted down. In fact, both are sitting on heavy duty skids. So they can be moved anytime.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,933 Posts
But my new buddy Dee Jackson that lives in Muskegon Heights, found my Burton bag with all my shit out in a snow drift and tracked me down by the airport tags via Facebook. Really cool dude that's sick of all the crime in the Heights. I told him you know that's like $1500 in gear right, and he said yeah I figured a couple grand, but im sick of all the hate over here, and that was freaking awesome. :)
Cool story.
You should call your local News station with this story. Ifs a nice feel good piece and gives people hope.

Maybe it'll pump you some business and help him in his goals as well.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #793 (Edited)
Yeah I understand everyone's arguments, and 100% agree.

My biggest reason at this time is that I don't have room for a big Bridgeport via the shop owner. When I told him I wanted this he said "where are you going to put it so its not in the way?" and then I spent a week cleaning and put up pallet racks to get shit up off the ground. Now ive got a little space but still not space for a big mill.

That's more my reasoning than the power.

EDIT: A buddy of mine did find one local to me for sale, same machine but with a vice and and a bunch of tooling for $1900. So if its still there once I figure out a new car and get some cash coming in again, I might go that route. Im sure I could talk him down a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #794
Cool story.
You should call your local News station with this story. Ifs a nice feel good piece and gives people hope.

Maybe it'll pump you some business and help him in his goals as well.
Yeah it was awesome. And I sent the story into wzzm and they said they would see what they can do. The Facebook post has like 900 shares and almost 3000 likes since Saturday.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Yeah I understand everyone's arguments, and 100% agree.

My biggest reason at this time is that I don't have room for a big Bridgeport via the shop owner. When I told him I wanted this he said "where are you going to put it so its not in the way?" and then I spent a week cleaning and put up pallet racks to get shit up off the ground. Now ive got a little space but still not space for a big mill.

That's more my reasoning than the power.

EDIT: A buddy of mine did find one local to me for sale, same machine but with a vice and and a bunch of tooling for $1900. So if its still there once I figure out a new car and get some cash coming in again, I might go that route. Im sure I could talk him down a few bucks.
I didn't say Bridgeport. I said BIG mill, like something that weighs at least 2x what a BP ways.

If you have a benchtop mill (like the Grizzly you linked) then when you do have space for a mill it should certainly be much larger than a Bridgeport. If you have a big machine a small one is not strictly necessary but compliments it nicely. A medium sized machine like a Bridgeport doesn't gain you much.

Since you don't have space for a big mill now but will in the future the bench-top mill is probably the way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #796 (Edited)
I didn't say Bridgeport. I said BIG mill, like something that weighs at least 2x what a BP ways.

If you have a benchtop mill (like the Grizzly you linked) then when you do have space for a mill it should certainly be much larger than a Bridgeport. If you have a big machine a small one is not strictly necessary but compliments it nicely. A medium sized machine like a Bridgeport doesn't gain you much.

Since you don't have space for a big mill now but will in the future the bench-top mill is probably the way to go.
Gotcha.

Yeah in my head a Bridgeport is a big heavy thing, so I guess im just wording it wrong.

More or less ive been doing some random prototypes for some big damn companies here and there and sometimes they require a counterbore, or even just the ability to clean up a slot from the plasma on a mill for a perfect fit, would be life changing for me.

So don't think of it as me needing to put large vehicle parts on to mill.

To be perfectly honest I don't even give a shit about making or working on vehicle parts to make real money, id rather do big production and prototyping as my end goal and do the vehicle stuff for my own hobbies. Or just always have some offroad project in that I'm slowly working on while the future "jimmy the apprentice" bends production parts. That's my business goal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Seems like I didn’t use my Bridgeport very often, but then recently put a dro on it. That was a game changer for me. Now it’s like 10-15 minutes to redrill a bolt pattern in a superduty unit bearing or something like that.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #798
Seems like I didn’t use my Bridgeport very often, but then recently put a dro on it. That was a game changer for me. Now it’s like 10-15 minutes to redrill a bolt pattern in a superduty unit bearing or something like that.
Yeah I bought a 2 axis DRO to mount to my press brake. Its going to be a life change compared to eyeballing or re measuring for every bend.

If it works well ill buy the same one and put it on the mill. (and probably the little lathe too).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Adam do you have any use for some conveyor roller sections? I ended up with a bunch of them and only needed a couple for both sides of my coldsaw. They are pretty nice. About 18” wide and 10 foot long sections. They could be cut shorter. Roller every 6”

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #800
Adam do you have any use for some conveyor roller sections? I ended up with a bunch of them and only needed a couple for both sides of my coldsaw. They are pretty nice. About 18” wide and 10 foot long sections. They could be cut shorter. Roller every 6”
Are they the little roller ball type things? I have like 3 or 4 sections that are like 14" wide by like 5' that I haven't found a use for yet.

Or do you mean they are the ones with a bunch of rolling cylinders? I don't have any like that.

781 - 800 of 837 Posts