Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought seven 9.00R16 Michelin XLs (five with like new tread) for cheap. After singing their praise while they sat in the garage, I've been driving around on them quite a bit this week, especially in snow. I haven't gotten them on any rock yet, but here's my short experience:

My 16x7.5s wheels have no inner bead retainer, so from day one I resolved to run tubes. (yeah, I like tubes, you got a problem with that?) Once I bought tubes, from there it was easy with a couple of tire levers. Being a cheap bastard, I didn't balance them.

On the street they hum, and at low speeds I can feel every lug when they contact concrete. In light snow (like streets around town) they don't do great being a large lugged tire, but in four wheel drive I feel really grounded. Being a directional tire, I ignored the Swedish military recomendation of running tires reversed in front for added reverse traction, in favor of maybe a little better braking ability. Under a heavy pig, they stop pretty well.

I don't envision the truck ever floating on the surface of anything, let alone snow; they really just cut through it.

I've only had them up to 60, but I have NO vibrations. (the front driveline was installed a few days later and gave me some hassels, but that's unrelated.)

If this weekend goes well I'll take the truck upto some deeper snow. Otherwise, I am really happy with their performance. I was expecting a LOT worse in the frozen over streets we've had. No worries. I actually feel more secure driving around with a wider, taller truck with these tires than I did a stock truck with higher axle gears and "street" tires.

If all goes well I'm going to take the truck to Moab post Xmas. We'll see how they do on rock vs. snow.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Brian thanks man, I was just drooling over those photos of your pig, the digital ones. Please post more picts please immediately! :D I'm despirately looking for a set of the XZL 9.00x16 (36.5 x about 11") (when I can afford them, but I would happily sell the Goodyears and any other body parts for it). Hmm, I might have a good kidney for Mr. Mourning... If you hear of any let me know. They were around for $160 each :eek: for a while but quickly sold out. I would possibly be the happiest man in the world with those on my rig :)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
9.00R16 should be 34 or 35", 255/100R16 would be ~37" if I'm not mistaken... too bad I didn't have a tape when I saw the 255/100 on that truck last winter... that picture with the tape on the website feels weird... damn, I can't seem to think straight... :rolleyes:
I looked at the 255/100, and there was another size printed on the sidewall next to the 255, on the same tire... was that 9.00R16 or 11.00R16...? I'm pretty sure it was 11.00R16 :confused:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I know the 11s are on the smaller 404 Unimogs, and the 14s are put Mogs that ran 12s to lower their RPMs but I've only ever once seen a mog on 14s. I'm not sure about the 255/100s, I'm stuck in the 15" world where we do things by the inch :D But those 16s sure would be killer...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Michelin 9.00R16s are 36" tall. As for pics, the digital camera's out of town with my father. When he gets back, I'll put up some more pics, and this time they won't be on asphalt. :rolleyes:

Either that, or I'm going to pullout the engine and start doing some drivetrain work... Hmmm..... :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.