Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,015 Posts
So a vertical down should turn the voltage down a bit and try a V pattern with a large tack.
No... If you go vertical down you should use more voltage to prevent cold lap...

Vertical up & overhead you can turn it down a bit.

My welding instructor always said that if you could find the sweet spot in your settings you should not have to change anything other than your pattern when mig welding. He would prove it to the class by fully butt welding 2 pieces of 5" pipe together without stoping. One continuous beautifull bead all the way around, the fucker was good!

When welding vertical up I usualy use a figure 8 pattern of bead and angle my gun slightly up. I try to slow down on the outside swoop and then push the puddle all the way to the corner. Getting the weld all the way into the corner was the hardest part for me. You are basicly building a corner shelf (that slopes towards you) as you move up. As you swoop the figure 8 back onto itself the origional area should be cool enough to solidify and hold your new stroke up. It's not easy...

On a flat joint ware I don't have to climb a wall I usualy use a stack of "V's" with the point facing me if the joint is close. Or a upsidown V if there is a gap I am trying to fill. The upsidown "V" allows me to bring the gap closer and keep the weld from falling thru. This pattern makes a nice contour to the weld with the end result looking like butterfly wings.

If I have an "L" shaped area to weld with one of the two sides being vertical I will run a "J" type pattern ware I creat a ramp with each stroke to run up and hold it aginst the vertical piece. This pattern greats a flat stack of dimes.

· Registered
4,015 Posts
If someone around here has some TIG welding experience I would love to see a thread started along the same lines showing what methods you use.

On most of my tig welds (other than a flat weld). I get undercutting on the edges. The weld itself has a nice contour but the edges get undercut :(

· Registered
4,015 Posts
Long leg of the J into the puddle, or ahead into the cold seam?
I run the long leg along the cold seam...I'm sure it help to preheat everything. I also typicaly (on a L joint with a vertical side) pause at the top of the J swing and twist/angle the gun into the vertical piece to help keep the weld on/burnt in to the vertical piece.

· Registered
4,015 Posts
Opinions on Spiral and C patterns?

I know the spiral pattern returning over the deposited weld was not good for some reason or another...
They say welding in spirals/circles tends to trap junk in the weld that would normaly float to the surface or edge. This creats inclusions or little pockets of junk that will help start a crack.

However I don't think it would be any worse than the Tack-Tack method you see alot now-a-days.

· Registered
4,015 Posts
Reviving this thread for a minute.

Having a terrible time getting my overhead welds to work worth a crap. Any suggestions?
The worst thing I find myself doing is not moving fast enough. I sit in one place to long and the weld wants to fall out. The tuneing of the welder is usualy the same...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.