Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Not a Wenzelite
34,703 Posts
If I have an "L" shaped area to weld with one of the two sides being vertical I will run a "J" type pattern ware I creat a ramp with each stroke to run up and hold it aginst the vertical piece. This pattern greats a flat stack of dimes.
Long leg of the J into the puddle, or ahead into the cold seam? I like to run the long leg of a J ahead to get some heat into the seam ahead, then drop the curve of the J back into the puddle...seems like if I do a C, a D, or a V, I get too convex of a weld, and not enough heat in the joint. If I do a J, I get a lot of heat forward into the weld, and I can shape/fill the puddle with the curve of the J. Gives me a bigger HAZ, and a very nice flat weld profile (not concave, not convex).

I have been welding stick for 20 years, 3 of them well, and only started MIG this winter, so I'm trying to apply the same principles of catching both sides of the base material and watching the puddle.

Finally got a bottle of Argon yesterday, so I'm ready to try the Parker TIG. (I scored a couple of empty 15.5 gal SS kegs to cut up and turn into a bbq smoker)

· Not a Wenzelite
34,703 Posts
I run the long leg along the cold seam...I'm sure it help to preheat everything. I also typicaly (on a L joint with a vertical side) pause at the top of the J swing and twist/angle the gun into the vertical piece to help keep the weld on/burnt in to the vertical piece.
Sounds familiar to me. Gives me both good, hot joints and a nice appearance.

Opinions on Spiral and C patterns?

I know the spiral pattern returning over the deposited weld was not good for some reason or another...
There's not a problem with returning over the deposited weld, per se, but it depends on a lot of other factors.

If you're burning really, really hot, and experiencing undercut (of the base metal) into your weld, and the weld puddle isn't really filling the undercut back in, then yes, you want to pause over the puddle and let the puddle grow and fill in the undercuts. If you're experiencing bird poop, then you're not running enough heat (or too much wire speed), and you're just dumping wire on top of an already cold weld. Your weld will get thicker, but you won't increase penetration, as the cold weld below will insulate the base metal from the heat and wire you're dumping on top.

· Not a Wenzelite
34,703 Posts
Instead of tack-tack-tack, I like to go zaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap-zaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap-zaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. Go 1-1.5 inches, then if you're heating the base so much that your puddle is enormous and starting to drip, let it cool from white or orange hot back to red hot (can just barely see the molten metal through a Sh10 lens) then keep welding. Otherwise, if I drop my power enough to not drip, it seems like I get poor penetration and the weld looks like bird shit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.