Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a friend who needs some stainless welded.

All I've done with my Miller 175 is mild steel. I have a tank of 75/25 mix.

Do I just need a spool of stainless wire or is do I need a different tank? What he needs is small stuff so I don't want to spend more than I need to get the job done.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Old Scout, thanks for the help

Not sure what grade- but not food/beer grade. Just some art metal that needs repairing. 3/16-1/4 round bar stock and some 12 guage sheet stock

Would using my current gas work (75/25) but cause more spatter or would penetration be at risk?

I can grind off spatter. It doesn't have to be perfect but it is structural to a point.

If not, could I oxy/act braise it with the right rod? Pretty familiar with mild but not at all with stainless

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A little research answered my question- I think.

Looks like I can flux core weld with the gas I have. Just need a spool. From the JW Harris Web site

FCAW - 100% CO2 or Argon/CO2 The voltage may be somewhat lower if argon with 20 to 25 percent CO2 mixtures is selected. Generally, a gas flow rate of 40 cfh is suggested. Adjustments can be made, depending upon the specifics of the application.

Might not be ideal but I think I can get by

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
If you're just gonna grind it down again, and he wants cheap, I used regular flux core wire on a couple projects I did. Couldn't tell any difference welding it from regular steel. It was only after I went to insta-rust said project that I realized it was stainless and wouldn't rust up. I scored some stainless bread pop-up thingies from a military dumpster. Basicly a box with a 6" end cap with a huge spring on it to keep bread always at the top when mounted vertically. I welded the end caps on and swirled it up with a grinder and they're perfect speedrails for my bar outside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts