Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a year since I posted, but I am ready to start working on the Jeep again. I will post some pics soon. CSP-promise just one thread. Others-let the flaming begin!

·
Snooty Poser
1,121 Posts
So why is "Mild 79 CJ" in hardcore?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
"So why is "Mild 79 CJ" in hardcore?"
Because you guys are the only ones that can answer my questions. Be patient.

·
Snooty Poser
1,121 Posts
"So why is "Mild 79 CJ" in hardcore?"
Because you guys are the only ones that can answer my questions. Be patient.
Nah. It may take longer, but the same people read both forums.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
First question: I mocked-up the cj with 8 lug axles (14 bolt and GM d44 front 8 lug hubs) but I am switching back to front/rear d44 (5 lug) scout axles. I am going with a lighter duty set-up until I can build a d60 front on a fully fabbed frame. With D44's and a mild 304, I think I can run 34x9.50 skinnys, 5.38 gears and ARB lockers front/rear without carnage.

On the front d44 scout axle, I am using cj outers. Scout inner and outer shafts, and cj outer knuckles, spindle, stub, bearing hub...

My question is, what seal do I use?

(See the picture.) It looks like the scout seal (3 piece below) is quite different than the cj seal (one piece above). But, it looks like the scout seal parts will fit the CJ spindle. There is a big seal that fits on the dust cover (I think this is called the slinger) against the stub shaft yoke, a second seal that looks like a wide, flat washer, then a third seal called an oil seal that slides on the shoulder of the spindle.

Do I use all 3 scout seal parts on the stub shaft and slide the CJ spindle on???

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Can anyone tell me if the CJ Front D30 axle used different stub shaft axle seals over the years?
I am talking about the seal that fits in the spindle and rides on the slinger (dust shield) against the yoke.

I am trying to fit the scout stub shaft into the cj spindle, but the cj seal doesn't fit on the scout axle.

The scout seal mounts to axle (on the slinger/shield) and rides along the face of the spindle.
The cj seal mounts on the spindle and rides the on the slinger (dust shield) against the yoke

The scout seal fits the scout axle (of course) but doesn't ride along the cj spindle face exactly the same as the scout spindle face.

I think the scout seal arrangement will work with the cj spindle, but it doesn't look exactly the same.

Even considering machining the shoulder of the scout stub to accept the cj slinger/shield (against the yoke), and then use the cj spindle and slinger/seal.

I know this is confusing...shall I post pictures?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Mock-up: Scout d44 front with cj d30 knuckles.

Got rid of the 8 lug d44GM knuckles, spindles and bearing hubs.
Installed the 5 lug cj d30 knuckles, spindles and bearing hubs.
Forgot to put brakes on. oh well. No axle shafts yet.

Tomorrow will shed the 14 bolt rear in favor of the scout rear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Scout axles have zero caster built into them. Works for a scout, but not a CJ. Gonna handle like a shopping cart unless you get 5-7 degrees negative caster. Most people either avoid Scout front axles or do a cut and turn on the inner c's. You can shim it, but then the pinion is pointed at the ground.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tierod will hit the diff cover unless you use offset tre or hiem
Havn't mocked the tie rod yet. Why do you say it will hit? Does the d44 cover sit more forward than the d30? I was told not to use scout knuckles (which should have cleared) because the geometry was bad. Now I got a new problem, hahaha

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scout axles have zero caster built into them. Works for a scout, but not a CJ. Gonna handle like a shopping cart unless you get 5-7 degrees negative caster. Most people either avoid Scout front axles or do a cut and turn on the inner c's. You can shim it, but then the pinion is pointed at the ground.
Yes, I will need a cut and turn if I drive on the road, but off road it should behave without a cut and turn?

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
A Jeep you can't drive on the road is about as useless as ejection seats on a helicopter. Just kidding haha. Just wanted to be a wise guy. Oh ok, well I didn't know this is an offroad only rig. Yeah, then it doesn't matter about the caster.

Put up some pics of your seal dilemma so you can get some resolution.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
A Jeep you can't drive on the road is about as useless as ejection seats on a helicopter. Just kidding haha. Just wanted to be a wise guy. Oh ok, well I didn't know this is an offroad only rig. Yeah, then it doesn't matter about the caster.

Put up some pics of your seal dilemma so you can get some resolution.
I don't know what this thing will end-up being, trailer queen or daily driver...I am just hoping it is not another of my famous failed projects.

I have moved on from the seal, for now. Working on the tie rod hitting the punkin and the springs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mock-up: Actually used a scout tie rod...nice and heavy, but cobbled. May end-up with a stock cj tie rod, made to length. Not as robust, but the TRE's will fit properly instead of cobbled. Scout uses a fine thread on one end and a course thread on the other...probably for adjusting. And the scout TRE's are heavier duty than cj, don't fit the cj steer arms. Don't want to taper the cj holes to fit, but I could...not a lot of extra meat on the arms.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts