Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting this thread to keep track of the progress I make on my '88 YJ I bought a week ago, and maybe get some pointers from you guys. It has the 4.2 w/ carb, POS peugot 5spd, NP231, stock D30/D35 combo. It came with a nearly new set of 33x12.5 ProComp M/Ts, on 15x10 black soft 8s. For now I'm keeping the build slow and simple and going to use a nice spring under suspension kit. I've pretty much decided on the RE 4.5 Extreme Duty but Rusty's has a 4" kit for cheap, dunno yet. It'll still be a couple weeks before I get it. The Plan so far is...

RE 4.5 Extreme Duty Kit
Shackle Reverse
SYE
Cage, tube fenders, bumpers, sliders
and the list goes on...

I know, pretty lame build to most you guys but it will be an ever changing project.

Here's the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it already sounds like it's full of gravel, an AX15 will bolt up won't it?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
it's a good base for a crawler. same as i started with. yep, the AX15 will swap in. just need a new pilot bushing in the crank (bigger input shaft dia) and i believe the AX15 is 23 spline output so you will need a 23 spline input on your 231 (it is 21 spline to the peugoet).

here's my 87:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Ah good to see a mild build. I'll be doing something similar once I get rid of my samurai and get my hands on a YJ.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, not a daily driver. Just a play toy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well It's coming along slowy but surely. Still waiting around for the funds for a new suspension. I think I've decided on a Rusty's 4" kit instead of the RE stuff. I know RE is the best but the Rusty's kit is a way better price. I started by totally rewiring the thing. When I got it the wiring was spliced everywhere and looked pretty shady. So I ripped every wire along with the emissions crap out and rewired it. Fabbed up a new gauge panel since the none of the factory gauges worked. And that's about it. Hopefully the supsension will be going on in a few weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Also pulled off the ghey chrome bumper and put on one those neat little hood locks from Savanna Jones. The lock along with the keyed battery disconnect in the cab should make it pretty difficult to swipe my junk.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Nothing wrong with a mild build. My new YJ will be ultra mild. I sprung mine over, and swapped in a set of stock 4cyl axles with 4.10s and a set of used 33" SSRs. I'm trying go keep costs down by going the used parts route. I picked up an XJ rear 44 with a LSD that I'll swap in after a re-gear. Then I'll get a lunchbox for the front and call it good. When I get a couple of bucks scraped together I'm gonna do the Howell TBI since I need smog legallity here in CA. So far I'm under $4k including the purchase price and a new set of BestTop front seats.
Travis..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like my kinda build. I like it cheap. Wish I was under $4K, I'm already over that just with the rewiring done. Is that XJ 44 similar width to the YJ 35?

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
It's supposed to be the same, right about 60". I haven't done any measuring, so I don't even know if the spring pads are anywhere near right. I found it in the junk yard, I figured $92 out the door was acceptable, even though it needs a re-gear.
Travis..

·
Registered
331 Posts
dood forget the 44 go with an 8.8 with disc brakes even thought its c-clip is stronger than a 44 and the usually come in 4.10 (it will have a tag on the cover telling you the ratio) and they come with 31 spilne shafts stock, and i think they are bolt in if not just a lil time wit a grinder and a welder. the one in my tj is welded up and its fawkin strong took some good beating when i borrowed my friends 35x16.50 boggers. the disc braked ones are from 96 and up explorers. they are a much better swap for a wrangler. but thets my opinion do your own searching

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I just put up my build a few moments ago. I live for mild-mannered builds. Should be a capable rig as long as you do not go overboard on the go-juice.

My Rig:

My build page:
Linky

·
Registered
696 Posts
Coming from a Rusty's 4" lift owner, consider just buying their springs. The springs and the front track bar relocation bracket are all that's left of my Rusty's lift kit. The shocks are really cheap and probably won't last more than a year or two, the rear track bar should be deposited in the nearest trash can so you don't need the bracket for it. You can pick up a set of cheap sway bar disconnects for $50 so you don't really need the extended links that come in the Rusty's kit. You can get U-Bolts in any parts store across the country. The rear axle shims are trash pot-metal that WILL break when you torque the springs down. Order good ones from RE or someone else that offers steel shims. Your other option is to cut off the spring perches, rotate the pinion to the correct angle, and weld the perches back on.

The springs are actually really tough and pretty flexible for SUA springs. I wish I had some pics, but after about 4 years on my Jeep, I can lift the front tire about 33~36" in the air before any of the other 3 corners lift. That's with the sway bar disconnected and the track bar still connected. For the price, they're not too bad.

As far as the rear track bar, if you don't remove it, and wheel the Jeep, it will remove itself. Between myself, my brother, and my father, we all own late model YJ's. My brother and my dad both had their rear track bars rip off of the jeep. Dad lost the axle side mount, my brother lost the frame side mount leaving a hole in his frame. I took mine off to avoid the same result and found cracks in the axle side mount. With it off, I found absolutely no difference in the way the Jeep rode. Might as well take it off before it rips something off of the axle or frame and has to be repaired.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
As far as the rear track bar, if you don't remove it, and wheel the Jeep, it will remove itself.
Yep, mine removed itself too. just go ahead and ditch it.

With the SUA lift, keep the front track bar. your leaf spring bushings will live longer and steering will be better.

I'll give what ARB_jon said a good ol' +1... The 8.8 is an excellent axle, especially for a YJ. ARB_jon or myself can get you the part number for the flange yoke to adapt your driveshaft to the 8.8 flange... it's about $25 from your local drivetrain shop that carries genuine spicer junk. Plus the 8.8 is much easier to find than an XJ d44...

I love the mild build man, mine is still way mild but i've been wheelin it for years and it's about time for a complete rebuild.

·
Registered
26 Posts
we installed an 8.8 with a lock right in my brother in laws jeep a few weeks ago and its awesome and we got a yoke off a crown vic and pressed it to the u joints on the shaft and it works great i also have a mild jeep and its fun as hell have fun and good luck:D

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm also running the 8.8 rear. Great axle. I've been really happy with it. As for the flange adapter, if you pull the axle yourself, pull the one off of the explorer. It's got the right size joint for later model shaft. (95 and later, I think)

If it doesn't work with your joint, you can either buy the right one, or use a conversion joint.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts