Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a while to wait... but I'm compiling my info now. Looking at current model trucks. I'll be in the market seriously in the next 24 months and I want to be prepared when I start my search... both new and used.

I'm primarily interested in Dodge trucks, but I'm still interested in both Chevy and Ford as options.

In the Heavy Duty Trucks, there is really not much info out there on what expected mileage could be... and that goes out the window anyway in the real world anyway.

Both gas and Deisel. What mileage are you ACTUALLY seeing? Empty and loaded. I have a ZJ, that may become a part time trailer queen in 2-3 years... and a Tracker that (if it isn't sold in a year or so) will also probably become a full time trailer queen. From what I have figured up, a 2500 Cummins Dodge will haul either very well... and probably both with little hassle.

I can use the empty mileage because it will see a good bit of time commuting with the wife on trips.. and with me when I'm off work.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Planning to buy new or used?
Where you live - post current gas and diesel prices per gallon
How many miles would you be driving that vehicle per year?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
'05 Chevy 2500, 8.1 L (gas), 4l85E, 4.10s. 13-14 mpg city. 14-15 highway, 9-10 towing 10 000 lb.

A friend has an '05 F-350, PSD, 5R110, 4.10s, 12-13 city and highway, 8 towing 14 000 lb.

Empty mine weighs close to 7k and his is close to 8k, so in the same vehicle I would expect similar mileage. Those numbers are on rigs with 20 000 miles on them, and stock.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
what I have had..

I used to tow with a F-250 with 460 gas engine.. it got 8-10 MPG empty driving around town and got 8 MPG towing. no matter how heavy the load was.. I was usually around 14k or 15k LBS when loaded..

Truck could run 70MPH on highway but woulkd take a big dump on hills.

I know have a Dodge W250 w/ Cummins and I just towed and got 10.7 MPG and never went slower then 70 MPH eben on huge hills and around town I am getting close to 20 MPG..

so I am gonna stay with the Diesel :)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
ok..check this link..I got a bunch of the guys to post up their rig specs..and figured it out cost wise...

its really the same...so its what you want..I work on gas motors..so that what I chose..someone more familiar with diesel's would probably chose those..

http://www.rrorc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28027

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
ramv said:
A friend has an '05 F-350, PSD, 5R110, 4.10s, 12-13 city and highway, 8 towing 14 000 lb.
He needs to learn how to drive!

I have a 05 F-250 6.0L PSD Crewcab Longbed -
Warm weather: 17-18 mpg around town, 15mpg towing 7000lbs
Cold Weather: 14-15 around town, 13 towing
My engine has 13,000 miles on it (not broken in)... I just ordered the AFE stage 2 and Hypertech, both of which should improve my mpg. I'll update my post after and after the 2000 mile trip out to Moab

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
wanderer-RRORC said:
its really the same...so its what you want..I work on gas motors..so that what I chose..someone more familiar with diesel's would probably chose those..
The only thing that really factors in here is cost of the fuel in your area.

But that statement is pretty true.

Any upgrades to a diesel (or gas engine) for better fuel economy are also a waste of money, I seriously doubt you would EVER earn your money back.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Travis Waldher said:
Any upgrades to a diesel (or gas engine) for better fuel economy are also a waste of money, I seriously doubt you would EVER earn your money back.
Depends on the cost of the mod, and the gains made. The fuel plate for mine was under $150 and got me a ton more power and about 1 mpg. increase in economy. I haven't run the numbers in a while, but it doesn't take long to recover that $150 with gains like that.

Now, when talking about $4-600 chips and boxes, yeah - it's gonna take forever to just break even on that.

·
Premium Member
8,606 Posts
I get 18-19 mpg with my stock 99 24v CTD 2500 5spd around town. Towing 9-10k across country, I got 10.5-11 mpg at 70--75 mph.

Last September, on a 2,500 mile round trip to Maine, I averaged 20.05 mpg.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
DRM said:
Depends on the cost of the mod, and the gains made. The fuel plate for mine was under $150 and got me a ton more power and about 1 mpg. increase in economy. I haven't run the numbers in a while, but it doesn't take long to recover that $150 with gains like that.

Now, when talking about $4-600 chips and boxes, yeah - it's gonna take forever to just break even on that.
Even your $150 plate will take a while. say you gained 1mpg, and you were getting 18mpg before. Your 36 gallon tank that cost (assume $2.50 gallon) $90 to fill up will get you about 648 miles. with the added 1mpg the same will get you 684 miles. work that backwards:

18mpg, 36 gallon tank, $90 fillup = 13.8 cents per mile
19mpg, 36 gallon tank, $90 fillup = 13.2 cents per mile

You save .6 cents per mile, so it pays for itself in about 25,000 miles. ($150 upgrade / $.006 savings per mile = 25,000)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Mods for mileage take forever to pay off just like travis pointed out.

With my '95 PSD 4.10's & 285/75/16 tires I get 15-19 empty on depending on how fast I run. If I keep it under 65 I get the upper end due to the gears.

Towing 14k around town or long distances I get around 10 mpg. When towing 3-7k mileage drops to around 13-14 to hold 70-75. The trailers I tow are very different and from comparisions on the diesel boards I have found that wind resistance & frontal area play a bigger role than weight on a diesel. The trailer I tow around @ 14k is a large frontal area dump trailer. The lighter loads are open flatbed trailers.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
02 PSD F350 SRW, auto, 4x4, crew (7200lbs empty), stock (no perf. mods), summer, 19-20 MPG @ 65-70 mph, 15-16 city, 13-14 MPG, towing 7500lbs 13-14 MPG @ 65-70 mph. All hand calculated.

Don't look at gas mileage alone to decide if you want to buy diesel or not.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
HAD:
1998 Chevy tahoe. Empty 16mpg, towing 6500lbs 10-12mpg

Have

2001 F350 PSD with custom programming. Empty 16mpg towing 6500lbs 15mpg. Will know soon what 10K+ will do to the mileage.

The F350 weighs close to 8000 lbs, the Tahoe was like 5500lbs. The fact that I get the same mileage empty and better mileage towing suggests the diesel is more efficient. The F350 also has a stick which helps, but is 4wd which doesn't.

All in all I love my diesel and for a truck this size towing a big load I think the extra $$$ is well worth it and I would be hard pressed to buy another gas tow rig ever.

YMMV.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
TheTonka said:
The fact that I get the same mileage empty and better mileage towing suggests the diesel is more efficient.
1 Gallon of gas = 124,000BTU
1 Gallon of Diesel = 139,000BTU

No doubt, diesel is a more eficient fuel, but is it really cheaper than gas.

Let's say a 5.9L gas engine gets 15mpg, and a 5.9L cummings gets 20mpg. Both trucks have a 20 gallon tank, the gas costs $2/gallon and the diesel $2.50 gallon. (again this varies WIDELY by region)

Gas = 300miles for $40 = $.133 per mile
Diesel = 400 miles for $50 = $.125 per mile
So diesel price wise is .008 cents more efficient.

So as long as diesel is around 50 cents a gallon more than your regular unleaded fuel the cost is basically a wash.

What I have started to notice in the last few years is energy producing companies more strictly selling their product by the BTU. They decide they will charge .00001612 dollars per therm, multiply that by the BTU capacity of the fuel in question and you have your price. Now, maybe that wasn't their plan, but the effect with the diesel prices shooting up to where they are is the same.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
DRM said:

Sometimes it's not a question of "making your money back" though.
Sometimes, in the case of a chip/box for instance, the gain in power that
allows you to climb a hill without slowing down is worth the cost, whether
or not you ever get it back monetarily. Agree David ?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
06 Dodge Cummins/auto, 4500 miles, towing 7k getting 8.5 to 9.5, Empty I'm only getting 12. Man I hope this thing starts breaking in soon.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Travis Waldher said:
1 Gallon of gas = 124,000BTU
1 Gallon of Diesel = 139,000BTU

No doubt, diesel is a more eficient fuel, but is it really cheaper than gas.

Let's say a 5.9L gas engine gets 15mpg, and a 5.9L cummings gets 20mpg. Both trucks have a 20 gallon tank, the gas costs $2/gallon and the diesel $2.50 gallon. (again this varies WIDELY by region)

Gas = 300miles for $40 = $.133 per mile
Diesel = 400 miles for $50 = $.125 per mile
So diesel price wise is .008 cents more efficient.

So as long as diesel is around 50 cents a gallon more than your regular unleaded fuel the cost is basically a wash.

What I have started to notice in the last few years is energy producing companies more strictly selling their product by the BTU. They decide they will charge .00001612 dollars per therm, multiply that by the BTU capacity of the fuel in question and you have your price. Now, maybe that wasn't their plan, but the effect with the diesel prices shooting up to where they are is the same.

Excellent post. When I bought my truck diesel was still averaging 20-30 cents a gallon less than regular gas. Of course over the last 2 years that difference has been reversed. Still as Gary's post implies I wouldn't trade my truck for a gas truck. I bought used so that does effect the cost difference but the extra power, and easy and affordable increases in power are worth the extra cost. Gas prices would have to be dramatically lower than diesel for the power advantage of diesel to be ignored by most diesel truck owners. I may not be able to keep up with some of the bombed Cummins and Duramx trucks but I don't have a problem passing most of the gas trucks on the road, and with the new trailer I am getting pushing the 15K lb range the advantage will be even more important.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
In town (Fort Worth/dallas) with lots of rush hour... I get 16-17mpg on average. Don't really have much "highway" info for ya without a load... since I'm usually pulling the rig when on the highway. I can't really see a difference using my Quadzilla fuel box.

I get anywhere from 9-11mpg pulling a 32ft gooseneck with a camper and jeep on it depending upon elevation changes and weather. I stay within the speed limit usually and don't use my fuel box.

2003 CTD 3500 dualie 4x4 6 speed HO with straight pipe and the box... about 55k miles.

FYI, my 2001 CTD 4x4 2500 auto didn't get this good of mileage until about 70k miles.

IMO... ya really buy a diesel for the towing power and longevity, the heavy duty components etc. Back when diesel was much cheaper... fuel economy was simply icing on the cake for me at purchase time.

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
DRM said:

Agreed. My mods are bought for performance, the MPG gains, while welcome, are secondary to why I bought them.

My truck is a 98 CTD 24valve. I get 18-20 daily driving, and 12-14 towing at speed, and in the hills.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Philly2Crazy said:
He needs to learn how to drive!

I have a 05 F-250 6.0L PSD Crewcab Longbed -
Warm weather: 17-18 mpg around town, 15mpg towing 7000lbs
Cold Weather: 14-15 around town, 13 towing
My engine has 13,000 miles on it (not broken in)... I just ordered the AFE stage 2 and Hypertech, both of which should improve my mpg. I'll update my post after and after the 2000 mile trip out to Moab
Well its a dually and has 4.10s... (yours has 3.73s).

Also, thats me driving so if I can get that kind of mileage with a big block gasser, you have to think it doesn't matter. Besides highway is on cruise at 82 or so, does it matter whos driving?

Towing two fullsize rigs in the mountains is an excersice in foot to the floor. It runs about 35-40 mph up the hills.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts