Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think something might be messed up with my tracker. Its almost stock. 3" body lift and a welded rear end. It allows me to go to and from work and install the 31" terra tires for fun. I'm planning on swapping a suzuki front, some more lift, and run 35s...but I'm worried I have a problem. My check engine light is on, but the auto shop couldn't make it turn off and the computer doesn't return codes. I'm wondering if its in limp mode because of the poor??? economy...

So, 235/75R15s and a welded rear end...2 door 3 speed automatic 1995 16v hard top.

When I drive my tracker with my foot to the floor to get to 65, and run 65, I get about 18-20MPG. Last fillup was 150 miles on 7.6 gallons.

I've been doing a test. I've driven like a grandma all week long. I accelerate slowly and never exceed 55. Right now I am at the half full mark and have gone 107 miles. Hopefully if the trend continues I will have at least 200 miles on the next fillup.

My friend has a 4 door manual, no welds, 235/75R15s, 1992-3 16v and he gets 250 miles on a 7-9 gallon fill (he isn't quite sure), but he also drives 65.

Am I over analyzing this problem? I feel like I have zero power once I get into 3rd gear. I've never driven the tracker without a welded rear. The tires all have the same pressure. If I let go of the steering wheel it tracks straight.

For some hard core content... I have a 1998 4 door sidekick that is waiting for its toyota axles and 45" tractor tires. :) Thing is rolled and cost me $300, so let the playing begin!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Grant, quick looking at miles per fillup and talk only in miles per gallon. :D
I'm getting 28-29 mpg in summer, 45 miles each way, about 5 miles of non-highway/65mph driving in that loop. You drive 5 miles each way, and about 2 or 3 miles of highway driving :D Your 55mph vs 65mph is making almost no difference in your commute time but maybe helping a little on mpg, 'cause you work so hard just getting to 65mph :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Your computer should at least return a code for normal operation. If it's not even giving you that one then the light may be on because the ECU itself is malfunctioning. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts