Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a milemarker 12k hydro winch and its going on a 1980 cj7 with chevy 350, th 350 trans, and 3/4 ton axles with stock manual brake master cylinder which I want to upgrade.

my question is should I go with the hydro boost setup or will the winch be fine running off just the p/s pump?

and can someone explain the hydro boost to me. the first I heard of it was last week when I went to buy calipers for the rear axle.

·
Registered
30,983 Posts
Hydroboost runs off the power steering pump. It's mainly used in deisel applications, or in gas engines when big cams cause low vacumn. It's one of those things that you either love it or hate it. I love hydroboost myself.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have a milemarker, I would say it needs its own high pressure high flow pump to be worth a damn.

·
Registered
154 Posts
remember.. not only are you using the p/s pump for steering.. but then add a winch.. are you going to run hydro assist? If so I would recommend a seperate pump too...
Thus I am going to put a MM12k hydro up front next year.. so I am a bit far away from that.... Just ordered my 15k electric for the back yesterday....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kinda thought the steering and winch would both suck if I tried using them at the same time.

I'm guessing the hydroboost won't help with that

as for a seperate pump for the winch, what works the best and is cheap. I've got an np 205 t-case w/o a pto that I know of. but if the only problem I have is having to muscle the steering while winching, that I can deal with as long as I don't risk damaging the winch or steering

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no hydro assist, I'll only have 35 and the body is fiberglass and i'm using borgeson or flaming river u-joints in the steering shaft. the power steering went out and I was torquing the steering wheel real good in some mud and the stock flex joint just fell apart so that was the end of those for me.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Easy guys, there's no problem with what he wants. I've got a ton of customers running hydraulic winches, hydroboost and ram steering. A good pump running 1,500 Lbs and 5.0GPS can handle it. Keep in mind, all three use pressure only when being used. You'll never be winching, steering and braking at the same time.

As to the story on the hydroboost. It'll give you double the power brakes, firmer pedal with less stroke. Going from a vacuum booster to a hydrobooster is addicting. Take a YJ for example. It puts out 1,100 lbs of pressure to the brake system (that's how much pressure the pads clamp onto the rotors). Hydroboost puts out 2,500-2,700.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anybody ever used an electric hydraulic pump to run their winch?

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
thedownlow said:
...I'm guessing the hydroboost won't help with that...
It sounds to me like you're a little confused. Hydroboost doesn't do anything to boost the hydraulic pressure. Hydroboost is a hydraulic brake booster that uses pressure from the PS pump to boost brake system pressure. From your posts, I get the impression that you're thinking it somehow boosts the pump output.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts