Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone using one of these??? i found a decent deal....379 for it...

Limited 2 year warranty, 3-stage planetary gear system for fast line speed, Freespooling. Automatic load-holding brake. Power In and Power Out. 12 Ft Handheld Remote Switch. Warning: To prevent serious injury: Do not use winches to move people: Not intended for commercial use: Keep hand clear of wire rope and fairlead opening during operation and when spooling.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
I think they have like a 1.7hp motor with a no load line speed of like 15 feet / minute. That is pathetically slow. Other winches will pull 9000 pounds at that speed.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have one.Iv had the axles and most of the side of my truck hung up on rocks and it drug me off no problem.Iv heard people say that the 3/8" cable is stiff and hard to work with,it coils up and wont lay flat when pulled out.Not true,its easy to work with and isnt stiff at all.

Its not a 9000 or 9500 but for $379 ya cant beat it,better than no winch at all :grinpimp:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yea, I posted the wrong fawkin pic.

I like it. I am a Mile Marker distributer and put both winches side by side, they are almost identical.

If you use a snatch block every time you hook up the cable, in my opinion, any winch will do (within reason).

If you have the cash, get an Warn 8274. I got this one because im a cheap bastard... and aint gonna spend a bunch of money on this hunk of shit....

One thing you will never hear anyone say is "I wish I would have gotten the smaller winch" !!

My .02

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
comparison of warn 8000 and the harbor freight mentioned above...

CABLE
HF - 94' x 5/16" dia
W - 100' x 5/16" dia

GEAR RATIO
HF - 210:1
W - 216:1

WEIGHT
HF - 60 lbs
W - 74 lbs

REMOTE
both 12 foot

DRUM DIAMETER
both 2.5''

big killers...
MOTOR
HF - 1/8 HP, 55 amp draw (with no load)
W - 4.8 hp, 80 amp draw (with no load)

LINE SPEEDS
Load 0 2000 6000 8000
HF - 13 11 6 4.5
W - 42 16 9.79 8.01

warn looks way better in motor HP...but once you get a load on it i dont know if it pulls that much better to justify the cost? what do you guys think? at the 299 price you could get them front adn rear for the cost of one basically?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
There's sooo much the numbers won't tell you.

Beasides, how many 12 year old harbor freight winches do you see? My friend has a M8000 that is that old.

Save up for the Warn.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Get the cheapo and a couple of snatch blocks and some UHMW rope and throw them in with your recovery gear and you got it made. If the cheapo wont pull you out, snatch block it!! Twice if you have too!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.