Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
That was one of the competitors for the HMMWV replacement contract. There are several similar models out there. Armored vehicles would make a poor expedition vehicle unless you were vacationing in a war zone. Too much weight overall, plus you will never see a US armored vehicle for sale at auction anymore. There are a lot of military cargo vehicle based rigs out there though. One guy on SteelSoldiers has one built out of one of the FMTV prototypes that didn't make the grade. There are also numerous M109 2.5 ton van bodied camping rigs and a few cargo trucks with communications shelters in the back for camping. One HEMTT owner is putting a commo shelter in the back for the same purpose.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
No, and I don't intend to unless I am invading with an army at my back with more than a few armored HMMWVs, lol. Eh, a nuke would be easier, lol.

But yes, all of the HMMWV replacement candidates are pretty interesting as well as the HMMWV inspired vehicles that are in use by other countries. Some are more capable than others off road but then a HMMWV's offroad ability isn't exactly it's main selling point, regardless of what the H1 owners claim, lol. Still, due to the vastly increased weight, an armored vehicle would not be my first choice for a expedition vehicle. They are very tight and cramped inside since they are very much like a bug, with all critical systems inside the armor plating. Plus they tend to have a high center of gravity which makes for an unstable vehicle in off camber situations. Then there are the fuel mileage considerations to think about since a armored vehicle will need a more powerful engine to move the weight as compared to a normal vehicle. Then think about self recovery because nothing short of a semi wrecker or once of the various military recovery vehicles will get a large APC unstuck.

Consider my Ramcharger. It's a decent vehicle and could be easily equipped for short trips away from civilization. It's a bit small for extended trips and would require frequent resupply trips or similar logistical help for long duration forays. But it is a decent 4WD with a somewhat underpowered engine that gets about 14 MPG in stock trim and weighs about 4,000 lbs. Now think about the Cadillac Gage Ranger/Peacekeeper APC that is basically an armored Ramcharger. It weighs in at just over 10k lbs at combat weight, has a 32 gallon fuel tank, much like a stock Ramcharger and has 7mm think armor that will defeat "most" small arms rounds. Just the weight alone would make the average wheeler cringe, then the fact that any modifications would have to be overbuilt by tradition standards to deal with the weight and that just adds more weight and complicates matters further.

I'm not saying it can't be done, because it has been done. A lot of Russians living in the Northern stretches of their country frequently use former military APC vehicles as they are about the only thing that can deal with the terrain and conditions in those areas. Just about every day of their life is probably what the average American would consider an "expedition". But all that aside, the weight, design and logistic difficulties would certainly be a challenge to make work as an expedition vehicle. Most "expedition minded" people would not consider them because they would not need the armored protection and it is just a complication for little gain in most cases. Couple that with the fact that the only armor that you can readily get in the US is very, very old or smaller foreign armor that would not be suitable for an expedition. To go armored, and have room, you would almost have to go with a 6x6 or 8x8 APC like a US Stryker, LAV-300 or a OT-64 SKOT, BTR variant.

Oh, but if anyone does invade Mexico anytime soon, bring me back on of these Panhard VCR/IS ambulances or similar VCR variant that they are using... :D

VCR/IS:

VCR:

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
After having had to live out of HMMWV's for extended periods several times, I wouldn't chose that as my expedition vehicle unless there were no other choices. Maybe some sort of modified 7-ton with a camper conversion. That may work somewhat better. 3 locking diffs, CTI, 6 wheel independent suspension, 7 ton off road rated capacity. All you would need to add is some creature comforts up front like sound insulation and better seats and stereo:smokin:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I just bought an old M109 that I'm converting it into a motorhome that I'm going to travel in, and live out of full-time for a while.

I also bought a 3.5-ton M353 trailer that I'm going to stretch and put a 16-20ft aluminum box on top of, so I'll have a (relatively) lightweight enclosed trailer to haul all my dirt bikes and crap.

Just yesterday I bought an old water-damaged cab-over camper for $200 and ripped out all of the appliances, and now I've got about 80% of what I need to get this thing built. Total budget for this is going to be under $10,000 and that's including generators and electrical systems, water filtration crap and a few other big-ticket items.

·
Limey
3,036 Posts
If you really want an armoured RV, these Saxons make a good base vehicle. Very simple and easy to service.

You can get one from here

·
Registered
276 Posts
I like the M109. Big but nice and usually for the right price too. I'd love to see one with super singles in the back.

·
Registered
561 Posts
After having had to live out of HMMWV's for extended periods several times, I wouldn't chose that as my expedition vehicle unless there were no other choices. Maybe some sort of modified 7-ton with a camper conversion. That may work somewhat better. 3 locking diffs, CTI, 6 wheel independent suspension, 7 ton off road rated capacity. All you would need to add is some creature comforts up front like sound insulation and better seats and stereo:smokin:
i second that. humvees suck. i would vote for an mk28. 20' bed with a 20000 pound rear mounted winch. if you could get all the sl3 you would have a snatch block and could convert it from flat bed to open troop carrier to covered wagon. or myvote would be get a shipping container and modify it to live in. and i swear that 7 tons have an anti gravity machine built in. at full off road load they're rate to cross a 30% grade at 15 mph and a 40% at 5. there also rated to climb a 60% grade. no low range in the transfer case but 1st gear is a granny. c12 cat and i think i'd rather have a manual transmission but the 7 speed Allison is good. oh and it has a jakebrake and obviously on board air. the Michelin 16 r20 tires are supposed to be easy to find and relatively affordable. i can wait untill they start selling them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is what I did several years ago. Wish I still had the rig but at least I know it went to a good home.
1967 Kaiser 2 1/2 ton M35a2

Put a Communication Sheler in the back and converted to a simple camper

Made for nice comfortable, go-almost-anywhere camping.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lets not forget that half the fun and enjoyment of expeditions and extended travels is that of the scenery. Seems some of those rigs you don't have a good view unless you want to move from portal to portal.:D
However they do look badass and when the zombies invade...I want one of those US "Buffalo" MRAPs.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Here is one that I havent started converting yet, but I think it is a good base.

Its a 1985 M1010 Ambulance. Only has 25K miles on it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
damn now im thinking..I have a are contractor cap on my club cab dodge..Dam beds tooo rusty..Maybe a cool project for boondocking

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
This is what my M109 project is looking like right now. Just finished rebuilding all the axles/brakes, flipped the hubs so I can run single wheels/tires on the rear axles, and I bought a new set of 43" Firestone T831 radials that I've got to get mounted-up. Graeme at G-Fab heled me build that bitchin' cabover rack.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts