Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering what type of machine is used for resplining axle shafts..pics would be awesome thanx

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Flatline: That was a sweet video! I've never seen that done before... just knew the after :D

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Most low-tech/low-cost way I know of being repeatable, reliable, etc, is turning the shaft to diameter (lathe) and then splining it one spline at a time in a rotary index on a mill.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
4th axis? i don't think you need a 5th for cutting splines:D

:homer: I thought thats what the guy at the shop said when I had some spline cutting done.

but maybe it was the beer we drank after thats fogging my memory...

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I've been looking into this, too. As posted a 4th axis on a vertical mill will work. Those rotary broaches are awesome. They are also mondo $.

Do you plan on doing a hundred of the same splines or just one here and there, whatever it is? I think you'd be better off with a mill in any case. It's all in the tooling. I am still building up my machine shop at home and the machines are only 50% of the cost so far!

Andy

·
Registered
233 Posts
It could, but you could also do it with a file if you had the patience, maybe even a chisel.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I think a Dremel tool with a thin cut off is the way to go. :D

As was mentioned before you need a lathe - and I'd suggest a very substantial lathe becuase you will be hard turning the shaft and the cutting pressures are very high. Here's my lathe:

For scale, that's a 12" 4 jaw and a CA sized quick change tool post. The lathe doesn't need to turn fast, but it does need to be really rigid. I use a live center and I also use the steady rest to help fight chatter and limit deflection of the axle shaft when I am cutting.

You also need a mill, a spline cutter and an indexer.

here's a post where I explain how I did it the first time:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294691

I've upgraded since I made that post (it's been almost 4 years). The first upgrade was to sell my Bridgeport and get a Gorton vertical mill and put a DRO on it and use that for cutting splines - WAY better than the horizontal for ease of use and productivity. The second upgrade was to cut splines on my vertical CNC. I'm still indexing by hand, so I basically run the program to cut one spline, index and then run the same program again until I'm done. It's a PITA though and between blanking the shaft and the actual spline cutting it takes over an hour. I generally won't do that job for other people, unless I owe them a favor or they have some good Jeep parts to trade :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts