Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

Got a problem with my new welder, I did a search, but could find anything

A week or so ago, I received my new miller 175 mig welder. Previously I had a holbart 135 welder, and wanted to upgrade to 220, and liked the idea of the metal (as opposed to plastic) roller assembly of the miller.

Anyway, today I tossed in a roll of .035 flux core wire (haven't gotten the bottle setup yet), and tried to do some welding. The wire won't feed through the tip with a damn, I weld for about 15-20 seconds, and it jams up in the tip. I am using .035 tips, the wire jams up so bad, I can't even pull it through with a pair of pliars. The wire spool is brand new, as are the tips (2 I've wasted so far) Could I have gotten a bad batch of wire, it looks OK but I can't tell. My old 110 V holbart would feed the same wire without any problem (other than having the power to handle it). What gives, any suggestions, the welder is brand new, purchased through welders-direct.com Surely .035 flux core isn't too much for this machine, after all, my 110 holbart could feed it? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Chad

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
how close is the tip in relation to the material being welded?
I have found that with flux core wire in same wire in two different machines it does the same thing you are experiencing. wire speed and heat are the issues between the two machines
turn it up turn it down until you find what is more comfortable for the machine you are using.

Sometime just bringing the tip a little bit further from material being welded will cure this problem if you are experiencing the same problem I had its the wire burning back inside the tip itself
hope that was of some help :)

your welcome if that helps ya out:flipoff2:

·
Registered
97 Posts
You may also have the wheels too tight for the flux core and causing too deep of marks in the wire. This will make it almost .040 and will cause the tip to jam. It should feed this wire with no problem. I'm not a big fan of flux or dual shield wire until you get up to at least .060. Go solid wire with a 75/25 mix and you will be happy!

·
Registered
554 Posts
You have to run reverse polarity on flux core. They are right on the pinch rollers being to tight. The liner should be the right size in the gun ,but chek any way. If all else fails, go to .045 tip. It will work. Mix gas is nice but the welding suface must be clean.(no piant-oils-rust-ect.) Co2 works fine and is cheep. If ya know what yer doing the weld splatter with Co2 is not that bad. Welding supply places like to push mix gases because it's a money maker. Been fabin for a liven for 18 years. It's just my opinion take it or leave it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure I got the polarity setup right, but I'll double check it. The wire will feed through the gun without a problem, it's the tip that jams it up. When it would jam, I would have to unscrew the tip (with the wire stuck in it) once it was completely unscrewed I could hit the trigger, and the tip would go shooting out with the sire. I cut the wire, and could'n't even pull the small piece out of the tip with a pair of pliers. Whatever the problem is, it seems to be isolated to the tip

I haven't messed with it since posting, had to many other things to work on, this week I'll play with it some more, might get a new spool of wire or something. In a few weeks I plan on getting a gas setup, and I imagine with solid wire this will be less of an issue, but I'd still like to be able to run flux core for working outside. Thanks again for all the replies.

Chad

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't want to argue with ya but mix gas has many applications. It is true that CO2 is good for dirty iron, a mixed gas is usually better for beginners. I don't care how well you set up a straight CO2 bottle there will always be more cleanup than if you run Argon... And as far as length of time fabbing ,I'm 53 And been doing it for a living since I was 18, at which time I was a member of the Boilermakers union. So I sorta have a year or two in it myself... So many people use the excuse about using CO2 on dirty metal, that I get sick of it. If the weld is done right it will be done on properly prepped metal... ANY fabricator or welder knows that proper preperation is 85% of a good weld!!! Try running a high grade of wire on CO2 then run the same wire on a mixed gas, not only will you see the difference you can test the difference... Now shall we discuss the difference about whether the tip should be in or out of the cup and the difference it makes in amps? Or how about wire speed also controlling the amount of amps your machine puts out? There are so many ways to set up a mig there isn't enough room to get it done here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
when i run flux i run a tip larger than the wire, sometimes I will drill out the tip to make it slightly larger. I would check the pressure on your feed, it sounds like it is too tight and crushing the wire enough that it won't feed through the tip.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I agree with ya lucky. I use a mix gas at work. I like the Co2 in the garage besause its cheep and nobodys paying me $35 an hour to do prep work. Alot of time I am do'n repairs on other peaples junk and they ussually can only pay so much. The quicker I can get it done the better.(more mony per hour).

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
xj4rocks said:
make sure you have the polarity right for flux core. it was most likely shipped setup for solid wire
FYI, I'm not sure about the Millers, but the Hobarts seem to come setup for flux core (at least the 175's). You have to change it to use gas.

·
Registered
875 Posts
lucky said:
You may also have the wheels too tight for the flux core and causing too deep of marks in the wire. This will make it almost .040 and will cause the tip to jam. It should feed this wire with no problem. I'm not a big fan of flux or dual shield wire until you get up to at least .060. Go solid wire with a 75/25 mix and you will be happy!
Wow.........I've contemplated this fer a while.I run my drive wheels TIGHT and it makes the above mentioned deep indentations in the wire.I go through alot of tips and was wondering if this might be the prob or a part of it.I'll go fawk with the set up a little more,I, just want that biatch to feed:D

·
Registered
472 Posts
Had a similar problem on a Hobart running flux and it was the wire!
Scratched my head, changed tips a few times...
Checked everything!

Then, I ran a few feet of wire right off the roll. (not through the rollers) Got out the mic and checked the wire.
It varied by enough that it wouldn't hand feet through the tip in many places:mad:

Got a good spool and told my buddy never to buy the "discount" spool again.

Cory

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
You could have the tension on the feed rollers to tight and making the wire flat

Or are you using a perferated roller or a smooth roller ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
It states in most owners manuals to run a tip one size larger than the wire you are using when you are running flux. It is stated that the diameter of flux core is not consistant and may jam in the tip, therefore, running a larger tip will allow the wire to feed more smoothly and evenly for a better weld.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
jeepmauler said:

Wow.........I've contemplated this fer a while.I run my drive wheels TIGHT and it makes the above mentioned deep indentations in the wire.I go through alot of tips and was wondering if this might be the prob or a part of it.I'll go fawk with the set up a little more,I, just want that biatch to feed:D
Your not supposed to crank the piss out of the tensioner. There's a proper tension for each size of wire. If you set it at the right tension it will feed the right amount according to the speed setting you have it set on. Running your tension to tight is only going to hurt your drive wheels,drive motor and bearings in the drive unit. The drive tension chart is useally printed on the inside of the lid and in the owner's manual. If you don't set your welder up properly (drive tension,wire speed,wire stick out,amp's) it won't work at it's full ability and won't last as long. If you want it to work right then go set it up right.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.