Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MIller 175 or 210 UPDATE

I searched and it looks like people who have bought a Miller 175 are happy with it. I am planning and can easily afford the Miller 175 with Tank, Auto Dark Helmet, and supplies but could empty my pockets and get the Miller 210. Does anyone have the 175 but wish they had larger. I will be using it for your normal truck modifications from body work to cages. sliders, bumpers, etc. It won't be used daily. Last week I was set on the 210 and know it is a bigger and better machine but now I don't know if I can justify the extra $500.

Also I plan on buying from Cyberweld.com are there any cheaper places.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Can't really help you decide between the two. I have the Miller 210, and love it. It welds so good it really makes up for me... :} I wanted to be able to weld 1/4 effortlessly, and occasionally thicker (which I will shortly with 3/8" tube).

I got it from B&R Welder (http://www.brwelder.com/home.html) for $1099 including shipping. Now it's $1159 including shipping. I don't know if Cyberweld has free shipping.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I would save up the money and buy the 210. I have the MM185 (similar to the 210) and love it. I would have kicked myself if I would have bought the cheaper one.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
I have a MM210 and if you ever plan on getting a spool gun the 210 is all set up and ready to go.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well I will have to follow suit and say that you should save your money and get the 210. I did a ton of research before I bought mine and it was definetly the best deal. You can do 3/8" if you need to and it works perfect for 1/4". It is so easy to use it unreal.

Sorry no help on the smaller model, but I would say that you are going to see alot of 210 users on here.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jelbehai said:

I got it from B&R Welder (http://www.brwelder.com/home.html) for $1099 including shipping. Now it's $1159 including shipping. I don't know if Cyberweld has free shipping.
Thanks for the link. This company is less than 50 miles from my house, cheaper and still Tax Free, I live just across the line from MD in VA.

Eric,Old Scout & bigjeepinYJ- It isn't a matter of saving up money to by the 210, I have it. I wanted somebody to reply and say they loved there 175 and wouldn't want or need anything bigger. People with 110V/135A migs have said it before:rolleyes: .

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
210:D

I use a 185 and love it...there is a big difference between the 185 and 175 mind you...my next (as the 185 is the old mans welder, he uses the 250 mostly anyhow) will be the 210, which I suspect is very similar to the 185

The onething about the 175 I like is the smaller gun (similar to the 185 gun) The 210 uses the same gun as the 250, and you may need the taper tips to get that gun into the tighter places.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I have a HobartHandler 175 and am very happy with it, I had just missed out on the MM210 01' x-mas deal where you got the free spool gun and was PO'd so I order the 175 from cyberweld to hold me over....

Never, sorry i got the 175 and never needed to upgrade. + its small and the $ cant be beat it. It was ~100 cheeper than the MM175 as it has 2 less knobs, but its mostly the same internals anyway. The HH175 easily does 1/4 np on a single pass.

Im no expert, but ive seen the same machine do totally different things with 2 diff. people using it....

-yag

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
After using skeetshooters 210 I'll never waste my money on another small machine.

The 210 will handle almost any job you would ever need to do in a fab shop. Eliminates the need for a stick welder (which in my opinion is a necessary companion to a smaller mig)

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Hayraker said:
After using skeetshooters 210 I'll never waste my money on another small machine.

The 210 will handle almost any job you would ever need to do in a fab shop. Eliminates the need for a stick welder (which in my opinion is a necessary companion to a smaller mig)
I have a mm200... and I STILL have a need for a stick box.

·
Wish it was my job!
2,112 Posts
I have been having the same debate with myself over the 210 vs. 250....

Should I just go for the 210? Or will I need the bigger 250? I have a 180 amp TIG for delicate work, I am looking for the Mig for saving time on simple tasks, and letting my friends weld instead of doing EVERYTHING for them.....

My basic test is whether it will weld a 1/2" thick tab to a bumper (shackle mount) without doing multiple passes, I want to be able to do a single pass fillet weld on each side of the tab and hold it. I can do this with my 185 Miller TIG, but that is with the TIG's infinite control of heat vs. wire speed.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Hayraker said:
I got the 175, and love it. If I ever have something out of its capacity with multiple passes, I'll use one of my two stick machines. What I like is it is still "portable" compared to a 210. I love the 210 chassis, but it is a big Fn machine (weight wise). The 175 also takes the 10lb spool, which would be a big negative if it didn't.

I was in the same boat. I decided to get the 175, and some other tools, instead of just a welder that I will probably not ever max out, anyway.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
foley said:
I have been having the same debate with myself over the 210 vs. 250....

Should I just go for the 210? Or will I need the bigger 250? I have a 180 amp TIG for delicate work, I am looking for the Mig for saving time on simple tasks, and letting my friends weld instead of doing EVERYTHING for them.....

My basic test is whether it will weld a 1/2" thick tab to a bumper (shackle mount) without doing multiple passes, I want to be able to do a single pass fillet weld on each side of the tab and hold it. I can do this with my 185 Miller TIG, but that is with the TIG's infinite control of heat vs. wire speed.
Well..... with the 250 you can spray it, and never worry ;)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Ok, I am sort of trying to make the same decision. I have a Arc welder already so I was leaning towards the 175 and just use the Arc if I need to. Sound like a good idea:confused:

·
Wish it was my job!
2,112 Posts
I had no idea the Miller 175 was so much cheaper than the 210 and 250... I may have to go cheap after all.

Those of you who were saying a 175 in the right hands can weld more than in less skilled hands, how much penetration are we talking about from a skillled / practiced user???

1 - 20 of 44 Posts