Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a miller 180 and the only connector in my garage is the L shaped female 220 for the dryer. was wondering if I could pull the power cord out of my welder and make a new cord with a male connection to that L shaped 3 prong plug. that way I could make my cord as long as I wanted instead of the 6 foot cord. should I just make an extension with two diff ends or make one new long cord

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Personally, I'd change the outlet on the wall or make an adapter if you don't want to do that. The industry standard for 220v welders seems to be the 50 amp plug, which I assume is what came on your welder. If you decided to buy any other welding equipment in the future it would likely also come with the 50 amp plug on it too, and it might make it more convenient and cheaper in the long run to adapt the shop to the welding equipment.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Make an adapter cord for it. That way if you ever need to take it to a friends house/shop, it can be used with a regular 50 amp plug. Mine was the same way at another shop. I made an adapter cord to use a different style plug at their shop.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Input cable

question is would you ever take it some where else.

I can`t remember if the 180 has crimp on connectors that go to the switch or not. loose connections cause more problems.

I think a extension cord with the correct plugs and sized for the length to get your welder any where you need to weld with it is the easy way to go.:homer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts