Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thoughts?

I want to replace my MM180. And I want to do the very occasional AC TIG, along with the odd regular old DC TIG, but mostly MIG on mild steel and maybe burn a bit of Ni-99 or Castarc stick. I could also see getting a spool gun if there is more aluminum work, and my MM180 is tool old to support a spool gun without a $$$ controller. Currently when I get into it I regularly max the duty cycle on the MM180 also, and looking at the charts for the 220 I should be at about 70-80% duty cycle versus about 30% on the 180 doing the same work.

There is no used machines available here, don't suggest it. I don't care that you can buy some 1000lb transformer machine for less than scrap price and the seller will throw in a free handjob and a Bridgeport series 1. The logout button is at the top right and under your username and you can hit that rather than reply.

Anyone own one? Or looked at one? If you didn't get it, what did you get?

·
Broke Bastard
4,123 Posts
Thoughts?

There is no used machines available here, don't suggest it. I don't care that you can buy some 1000lb transformer machine for less than scrap price and the seller will throw in a free handjob and a Bridgeport series 1. The logout button is at the top right and under your username and you can hit that rather than reply.

Anyone own one? Or looked at one? If you didn't get it, what did you get?
Wow. Just... Wow:rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. Just... Wow:rolleyes:
And? I posted that for a reason. I don't give a shit about what you can buy for pennies in your failed industrial town. I can't. Every thread I ever start in here has a bunch of jackwads posting CL links to shit that's 8000km away from me. Fuck off and mainline some bleach if you don't like it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I don't know shit about this machine other than what I just read when I looked it up. Hell, if you have 3k burning a hole in your pocket, why wouldn't you buy it? AC/DC tig, stick, mig, ability to spool gun aluminum, auto settings and DVI. Plus, it's a Miller. I'm a Lincoln guy myself, but it's not like your asking about some off brand crap. Lincoln/Miller can't go wrong.

And, who the fuck references seller distance in km? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have one, works way nicer then the old Lincoln TIG I had. Pulse control (DC) is a nice feature. Torch stays pretty cool and never got it too hot to really notice. I have never hooked up the MIG torch to it but have the 215 which is basically the same machine but only DC TIG, I use it for MIG one now and will put my spool gun in the 220 so I can be lazy and not swap the torches out. The set and go control work pretty well, I don't find myself messing with the pedal too much and I have a thumb control for those places like doing cages where a pedal is a pain to use. Its about 6" taller then the 215 but is still compact and pretty quiet when running. As far as I know there is no water cooled torch available for it if that is something you are looking for and lacks the custom setting of a Dynasty series but it does not sound like you would be utilizing them anyway. I have no regrets about buying either of mine. The ESAB AC/DC was not out when I got mine but I have heard good things about it if you want to compare the Miller to it. I got mine at cyber weld with a free helmet. If you don't really need the AC TIG the 215 is more compact and they dropped the price quite a bit on it when the 220 came out.
Hopes this helps, good luck with your search.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one, works way nicer then the old Lincoln TIG I had. Pulse control (DC) is a nice feature. Torch stays pretty cool and never got it too hot to really notice. I have never hooked up the MIG torch to it but have the 215 which is basically the same machine but only DC TIG, I use it for MIG one now and will put my spool gun in the 220 so I can be lazy and not swap the torches out. The set and go control work pretty well, I don't find myself messing with the pedal too much and I have a thumb control for those places like doing cages where a pedal is a pain to use. Its about 6" taller then the 215 but is still compact and pretty quiet when running. As far as I know there is no water cooled torch available for it if that is something you are looking for and lacks the custom setting of a Dynasty series but it does not sound like you would be utilizing them anyway. I have no regrets about buying either of mine. The ESAB AC/DC was not out when I got mine but I have heard good things about it if you want to compare the Miller to it. I got mine at cyber weld with a free helmet. If you don't really need the AC TIG the 215 is more compact and they dropped the price quite a bit on it when the 220 came out.
Hopes this helps, good luck with your search.
Awesome to hear some real world feedback. I've eyed up the ESAB machines too but I've never owner one and there isn't as much stock available. I can get a bigger ESAB (285IC I think it is?) for only a couple hundred more but it doesn't include a TIG torch, pedal, or second regulator. The ESAB interface also seems a little too fancy to me, as I believe it's a touch screen?

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The comparable ESAB is actually the Rebel 205IC and it's $100 more for very similar specs. The main difference is you can adjust the A/C TIG quite a bit more. 5-235 amps on the ESAB vs 20-210 amps on the Miller, A/C balance is 60-90% on the ESAB vs 60-80% on the Miller, 25-400Hz frequency on the ESAB vs 60-150Hz on the Miller, and 1-500PPM pulse TIG vs 1-150PPM pulse TIG Miller.

Also I'm not sure if the Miller supports pre-flow for TIG, looking now, the ESAB definitely does (both do post flow). Also not sure if either do pre/post-flow for MIG.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
And? I posted that for a reason. I don't give a shit about what you can buy for pennies in your failed industrial town. I can't. Every thread I ever start in here has a bunch of jackwads posting CL links to shit that's 8000km away from me. Fuck off and mainline some bleach if you don't like it.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/tls/d/minneapolis-hp-tig-welder-ac-dc/7036122822.html

come on down here
I got a rape shack, a warm bed and a handjob all just for you

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am currently running a Multimatic 215 and really like the machine. I bought it new when they first came out.
I am looking to upgrade to the 220 as I also would like the option to do AC Tig occasionally. I am going to wait for the 220 prices to drop when they come out with the next generation.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I used to have a Miller 211 inverter and it worked great until I smoked it. By looking at the charts from Miller, it seems that Miller uses "parts" similar to any 200A class inverter, but they let you run the machine at the ragged edge to get higher outputs, which is why their maximum output is rated at 10% duty cycle or even less. Where as other 200A class machines have very similar outputs, but are "capped" at 200A and the resulting duty cycle at max output is around 20-35%. I ran my 211 wide-open on 1/4-3/8" steel thinking that if I hit the duty cycle the machine would shut down the welding output but nope. The board smoked and it had to be serviced.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I used to have a Miller 211 inverter and it worked great until I smoked it. By looking at the charts from Miller, it seems that Miller uses "parts" similar to any 200A class inverter, but they let you run the machine at the ragged edge to get higher outputs, which is why their maximum output is rated at 10% duty cycle or even less. Where as other 200A class machines have very similar outputs, but are "capped" at 200A and the resulting duty cycle at max output is around 20-35%. I ran my 211 wide-open on 1/4-3/8" steel thinking that if I hit the duty cycle the machine would shut down the welding output but nope. The board smoked and it had to be serviced.
i'd be very interested in seeing the project that 'smoked' the 211, and the power source?

oscar, your opinion is biased, and in the vain of honesty you should lead with that.

to the op. i've had many machines, htp, tweco, thermal arc, miller, lincoln, ahp, hyperhterm, harbor freight, hobart, century, arc one, and i know im leaving out a bunch. i have spent allot of money to get where i'm at, i dont have specific experience with the mm220, but the people i know that do love it. and i cant say i have ever been disappointed with a miller machine (or a Lincoln tweco, or thermal arc). i have had to service some xmt's and replace a board in a miller passport, but to be fair those machines have all been pushed above and beyond, nad they where purchased used.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It is your opinion that my opinion is biased. You have your own preconceived notion of me, and that is fine, but don't try to pass off what you think as gospel, for it is not. So you can FRO with the honesty thing.

The project was a wedge splitter that I was using in my 20ton harbor freight press to split some very tough blackjack oak firewood. 3/8" plate right in the middle, going top to bottom, surrounded by heaps of 1/4" plate.

Power source? as in for the input power into the 211? 50A breaker, 6awg THHN, 6-50R. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Old School
1,877 Posts
I have the 215 with scratch-start DC TIG for a couple years. Its a great machine for what I do. If the 220 was available at the time then I would have bought it instead.

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
The comparable ESAB is actually the Rebel 205IC and it's $100 more for very similar specs. The main difference is you can adjust the A/C TIG quite a bit more. 5-235 amps on the ESAB vs 20-210 amps on the Miller, A/C balance is 60-90% on the ESAB vs 60-80% on the Miller, 25-400Hz frequency on the ESAB vs 60-150Hz on the Miller, and 1-500PPM pulse TIG vs 1-150PPM pulse TIG Miller.

Also I'm not sure if the Miller supports pre-flow for TIG, looking now, the ESAB definitely does (both do post flow). Also not sure if either do pre/post-flow for MIG.
Don't buy the ESAB is my advice to anyone reading this.

The MIG side on my 205 AC/DC will only adjust each volt 25%, so 17.0, 17.2, 17.5, 17.7, 18.0, 18.2, etc. I'm on my second machine now and it started doing the same fucking thing again. This is on several other models too.

TIG has been fine.

Service gave me a new one ASAP, but what good is service if the product is gonna do it again in rapid order. Maybe third time will be the charm, but I haven't been able to take it back in yet. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't buy the ESAB is my advice to anyone reading this.

The MIG side on my 205 AC/DC will only adjust each volt 25%, so 17.0, 17.2, 17.5, 17.7, 18.0, 18.2, etc. I'm on my second machine now and it started doing the same fucking thing again. This is on several other models too.

TIG has been fine.

Service gave me a new one ASAP, but what good is service if the product is gonna do it again in rapid order. Maybe third time will be the charm, but I haven't been able to take it back in yet. :rolleyes:
The place I bought the Miller from recommended against the ESAB despite it being more money. He said they had more than a few of them come back, and had troubles with getting them serviced.

That was what made the decision for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts